Recommendations for diving knife

So I’m looking for a knife for freediving and spearfishing, and I’m hoping you all can provide some insight.

There are a huge number of titanium dive knives available that are touted as being “high end” and the most corrosion resistant, but I’ve been advised that some are of questionable quality and I can’t find much info from reputable sources on edge retention and ease of sharpening.

On the other hand, there are “specialty” steels like H1 that are allegedly tailored for use in salt water.

I’m wondering if any of you have any insight on how other types of steel hold up to saltwater exposure, and if you have any specific recommendations for fixed blade dive knives. I feel like this community might have more knowledge or insight compared to diving forums.

Thanks!

I carry either a Pacific or Atlantic Salt. Both are fully serrated H1. I have the typical titanium dive knife; but I rarely bring it. I also have an LC200N Mule that I set up for diving...but decided to go with conventional wisdom and stay away from sharp tips.
H1, as you may have read doesn't have great edge retention in a plain edge; though it is easy to sharpen. Where it shines, though is with a serrated blade - those seem to stay sharp forever.

I carry either a Pacific or Atlantic Salt. Both are fully serrated H1. I have the typical titanium dive knife; but I rarely bring it. I also have an LC200N Mule that I set up for diving...but decided to go with conventional wisdom and stay away from sharp tips.
H1, as you may have read doesn't have great edge retention in a plain edge; though it is easy to sharpen. Where it shines, though is with a serrated blade - those seem to stay sharp forever.

Any recommendations for a fixed blade? I’d like something I can use to pry up some scallops if needed...

Knives for free diving and spearfishing are different from "dive knives" for scuba.
Spearfishing calls for quick dispatch of a fish so a dagger type design works best.
A general "dive knife" that can perform utility tasks should not be a dagger design.
BTW, you don't have to "pry" scallops, they sit on the sea floor unattached to anything. You may have to "pry" mussels and oysters though. There's more to knives than just
the steel type.

Last edited:
Spyderco Fish Hunter, or any other one of their H1 steel fixed blades. H1 steel is not stainless, it's completely impossible to rust, you can leave it at the bottom of the sea floor for a month, and it will not rust.

For the money the Riffe Wrangler Dual serration gets my vote

The spyderco fish hunter is a nice knife but the sheath sucks for spearfishing if you get a custom sheath made for it it would be great

The Riffe comes with a proper spearfishing sheath

Last edited:
No offense buy that boat anchor would make a horrible spearfishing knife

To be honest, I really don't think it would be all that great as a scuba knife either. 14oz and 7in blade is fine, but no serrations for cutting rope/nylon. probably 440B stainless, Micarta on a dive knife??, and no pommel to tap your tank to signal.
As an admirer of Randall knives, I think that knife is better off as just a knife, rather than a "dive" knife.

Back