Recommendations?

Hey guys, so I've been in the market for a new folder. Looked around but decided I need another CS blade haha.
Been looking at the rajah 2 and 5.5in Talwar. I'm not gonna lie, I've been lusting after the rajah for about a year now but now that the new line up is out with the Talwar its a tough choice....arghhh!!! The rajah does seem more practical with the kukuri blade shape. But has anyone here used the Talwar extensively? Would really like to hear more about this blade but since its soo new with only limited youtube vids on it. And has anyone seen the new stonewash on the rajahs and Spartans yet? Or maybe try and convince me to buy something other than these two. Mainly looking for a nice beefy blade to throw in my backpack or carry on my persons whenever possible(cold steel of course). Budget is around 150 bucks! Thanks!

Not trying to steer you away from those awesome folders, but for $150 you can get a G10 Espada XL. Starting this year, they're going to be produced with that gorgeous stone wash finish. I want.

I have the Voyager XL and the Spartan blades. The Spartan is a better EDC blade if that is something you are interested in. The Spartan is also has a slightly beefier blade than the Voyager. The Voyager XL is a huge folder. Slightly thinner blade when compared to the Spartan but I still love it. Voyager is a full flat grind. They both take and hold an edge very well and are extremely durable. I've beat on both of them, within reason of course, and have had no issues with them. Not very good with small or detail work, but I have smaller knives that fit that bill. Hope this helps. Can't go wrong with either.

I love my Rajah II. It is my primary EDC, backed up by a Spartan. The Rajah is a hard use knife, just watch the video. The down side is it take a lot of skill to sharpen the Rajah and Spartan. I use a 1" leather belt with stropping compound. A good alternative would be, as koryshar recommended, the Voyager XL. The clip point or tanto would be much easier to maintain. The Rajah is an awesome blade.

I have both of the Talwars and am carrying the 4-inch version the most so far.

I am still getting used to the Persian-style blade shape.

It works good for most slicing/draw cutting tasks quite well.

I am glad that I held off on buying the Benchmade Bedlam manual-version—I like the blade shape of the Talwar so much better.

@Kwon Kwang
LOL I would love to be gifted one but i probably wouldn't spend my money on it... maybe the large version in stonewash hehehe

@koryshar
I just handled the spartan today at a local surplus store and that thing is certainly a beast, but a lil awkward when waving out and repositioning my hand because of the way the pommel is made, it seems to just get in my way... curse my size med hands! :(

@Tomahawk Rob
You bring a good point up, I've never sharped a recurve or kukuri blade shape on a pocket knife before. I might have to get a beater to practice on. Now Im leaning towards the Voyager series lol

@GCG199
Interesting to hear! How does it carry? And is the tip strong enough in your opinion?

Last edited:
It carries quite well, just like most of the other 4-inch Cold Steel folders do.

The tip has excellent sharpness and penetration.

I wouldn't use it for any kind of prying though.

The pistol grip-style handle is great and fits my hand well.

Mainly looking for a nice beefy blade to throw in my backpack or carry on my persons whenever possible(cold steel of course). Budget is around 150 bucks! Thanks!

Just a reminder to make sure you are aware of the laws in your area...5.5 inch blades are illegal to carry in a lot of places, and 6 inch blades are illegal in some that allow 5.5 inches(Texas, for example), so before you throw something too beefy in your pocket, make sure it's legal it first!

I had a scimitar i really liked i wish i still had, which is the closest i can get into that. my friend has a raja 2 i bought for him and he loves it. it has a high value for conversation, intimidation, and heavy duty work as well as sd :) the scimitar was a very fun knife for me to slice with and very lightweight, but i havnt handled a talwar. i enjoy my spartan immensely

I have the Rajah II (and a III on the way) and it's a pretty good blade. I've done a little chopping with it and it has been great when I'm up camping and don't feel like strapping on a fixed blade. Never EDC'd it though. I love the wave opener, I really wish CS would have the wave on more knives. Particularly the voyager and recon 1 series.

I really wish CS would have the wave on more knives. Particularly the voyager and recon 1 series

Iam not sold on wave. I carry old style Voyagers, and can snap open on drawing .As I am coming forward with the blade. Wave opens and it looks like its kind of behind you . Guess I just carried Voyagers to many years . Just got a 4" new/old plastic clip model. I bought for my 19 yr old daughter.on e bay. Little oil and a couple min later she was drawing and wrist opening. Reverse grip also. Its her EDC knife . She like me just not thrilled with the looks a feel of the new Voyagers. My X2 VG-1 is always clipped on my pocket .

I own several CS folders but my favorite is the Voyager Vaquero 4"

Great ergonomics, well-balanced, fits my hand like a glove, very light, nasty, sharp serrations that push-cut newsprint, easy to inertia open and inexpensive.

Although lately, I've been carrying my new find - a 2007-2208 Vaquero Grande serrated in VG-1. Man, I just love this knife and can legally CC it almost anywhere in Kalifornia.

Knife laws for every state in the US: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Not trying to steer you away from those awesome folders, but for $150 you can get a G10 Espada XL. Starting this year, they're going to be produced with that gorgeous stone wash finish. I want.

I think I must be in the small minority of people that hates the stonewash finish on CS knives.

I polished out two of my 4" Voyager Vaquero's using "Flitz" metal polish, a microfiber cloth and some elbow grease:

z5r7OAoZ6EDnWP8ndp3wEh5X7YhzgBOYJuRrHG_kSDU=w216-h162-p-no

W37_VCGwaagtPIAnubJtgNuXKszgpedcEOy5Mg5OmBU=w122-h162-p-no

Last edited:
Damn, dude...that finish is "katana edge bevel moonlight blind"!! Which micropaper did you use?

I'm thinking of getting a Rajah 2, and building it a set of Rajah 1 handles.

Back