1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recon-1 Opening Modification Questions

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CQCGeek89, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    All operators know to wax all body hair before a mission........DUUUH!! Streamline dude!!
    :confused::confused:

2. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Polish all contacting surfaces. Do not mess with a hammer...you will most likely ruin the knife. Add a very light amount of lubricant. Snaggletooth mod would be good.

Also...work on developing this skill: 0FC0734F-4262-490D-AE6C-11147217C0F2.jpeg

Worked for me. No one messes with me and I avoid conflict.

palonej, jux t, Mecha and 1 other person like this.
  3. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    The adrenaline will take care of that

palonej, Mecha and unwisefool like this.
  4. Tjstampa

Tjstampa Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 25, 2019
    It serves as a way to distract your attacker. Your attacker will be laughing so hard her or she will be caught off guard

Mecha and unwisefool like this.
  5. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    I also helps the Operator swim faster during aquatic egress scenarios, such as when multiple attackers deploy their back machetes against you.

6. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    The OP was likely looking for my input, as I had posted in the "best lockup on a folder" thread about a technique I once used to modify the spring tension on a triad lock knife. I disassembled the knife, placed the spring in a vise, and, yup, tapped it really lightly with a hammer a few times and reassembled the knife and tested the lock action. I did this a few times until the action was where I wanted it. The knife suffered no functionality problems thereafter.

I did not come up with this idea, mind you. I had read it previously. Since then, I have also bent the spring on another triad lock knife with pliers, which I find to be a quicker and perhaps more precise method. Some triad locks I have owned have even received grinder treatment to change the lock geometry. Those also fared well, and were perfectly functional and strong knives. These are not difficult mods to perform, and unless one has no concept of patience or restraint, then there is no reason it should lead to a damaged knife.

Full disclosure: I have degraded the function on exactly one knife out of all the knives I have modified. It was a Voyager XL Tanto turned wharnfoot or sheepscliffe, as it were. It's the one with the opening hole instead of the thumbstud. The only reason I messed it up is because I tried to make G10 scales for it by hand, something I had never done before, and my precision with the holes was just not where it needed to be. The knife was able to be assembled, but the fit just didn't allow a full lock cycle. I tried to grind somewhat in the stop pin groove on the tang, in order to get it to function, which it did, but I had sloppy blade play which rendered the knife absurd. I ditched the project, and reassembled it with the factory scales (which I had also modded), and it functioned, but with some noticeable blade play. I alleviated this by applying some CA glue into the stop pin groove in the tang, which resulted in solid lock up for a time, but it has degraded with many lock cycles, and there is now some noticeable blade play again. It is enough to be an annoyance, but not enough to compromise the knife. It's still a decent knife, but it'll never be great. Now I know why so many scale makers refuse to make scales for Recon 1s, Voyagers, Enduras, Delicas, etc.

And OP, why are you planning on being attacked? With situational awareness and a good attitude (humility), you should never be attacked.

7. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Or if you turn invisible. Can't attack what they can't see!

palonej and David Mary like this.
  8. Tjstampa

Tjstampa Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 25, 2019
    OP on a serious note, relying on a folder for self defense is not wise. The only time I Have been attacked was in my mid teens and there was no time to grab my knife out of my pocket. Situational awareness is more important and can keep you out of that type of situation

David Mary likes this.
  9. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013

Keyword..... SHOULD

ShannonSteelLabs and David Mary like this.
  10. CQCGeek89

CQCGeek89

Jun 8, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. And to answer your question, I don’t EVER plan on getting attacked. This is just one facet in my vast knowledge in self-defense (not to brag). I am going into my 2nd degree black belt in Kenpo and I am expanding my horizon with self-defense DVD’s. When someone wants to try to attack me, I do my best to deescalate the situation using what I learned over the years by saying “I don’t want to fight” while I am setting myself up in a position where I can turn the tables on the attacker so I would be on the OFFENSE and forcing them to go on the DEFENSE.

BladeScout likes this.
  11. CQCGeek89

CQCGeek89

Jun 8, 2019
    Thanks for the input. I have been taking self-defense for almost a decade and I would know not to rely solely on one thing. If I feel like the situation would call for my knife to be brandished (like a certain type of life or death situation) and it goes beyond hand-to-hand combat (which I would assume is rare), then I would simply jab the attacker’s eyes with my fingers before pulling out my knife.

12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/practical-tactical.680/

Welcome ! This is our special forum for SD / fighting related topics ^^^ . :)

Cold Steel Tri-ad lock folders are a great choice and will eventually "work in" and become easy enough to fast open .

The wave method is fastest , but you need to practice a backup for failures to completely open . I use the gravity / inertia / shake down as my backup failsafe for the wave .

Of course , never introduce any lethal weapon into a fight unless legally justified and the last desperate resort ! :eek:

13. CQCGeek89

CQCGeek89

Jun 8, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestions. And thank you for the link that you provided. And I know not to brandish anything lethal unless I was legally justified in doing so and that would be my VERY last resort.

DocJD likes this.
  14. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013

Yeah but what if they saw the eye poke attack coming and dodged or blocked you. They you would have an enemy who is now on ultra high alert. That's when you need that back machete.

15. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Oh , behave ! :p

Mecha likes this.
  16. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    We're done here.

115Italian, JBC6650 and b00n like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.