Recommendation? Recon 1 Tanto vs. Voyager Tanto

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by 9Fingaz, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    Yep, I'd say the Voyager is actually just as strong as the Recons, they have good thickness heat treated aluminium liners nested inside those tough handles :thumbsup:

2. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Hmm, I thought Midway was. I have a lot of good experiences with Knifecenter, BladeHQ, GP knives, and Knifeworks. Knifeworks typically has pretty good prices, while the others have a little higher prices, but good periodic sales. My fav Cold Steel source is not on the list either, but it is a big sports dealer that does not specialize in knives.

3. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Another advantage of ordering from one of the forum sponsored dealers, is that many offer "notes" in the checkout procedure that allow the customer to ask the dealer to inspect the knife for QC before they ship it out (at least one sponsered dealer does not do this). I usually write to check for blade centering, no up and down play on lockup, etc. I, too, was burned by an Amazon purchase (although some were fine).

4. 9Fingaz

9Fingaz

Aug 9, 2019
    Just an update. Bought a XL Recon 1 on EBay for an exceptional price. It looks legit, but we will see when it arrives.

Thank you to everyone for your help! Excited!

5. 9Fingaz

9Fingaz

Aug 9, 2019
    Looks legit! Been working with the knife for over a week and it is solid.

No blade play. Very smooth load/reload. Weight is 8.3 oz. and the print detail looks sharp and accurate.

Very impressed with the design and aesthetics.

Thank you to the community for all of the great help!

jux t likes this.
  6. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Are the tanto versions of the Voyager and Recon still hollow-ground?

7. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    yes

jux t likes this.
  8. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I probably have all the XL's, or close to it. I prefer the big Vaq. for a city evening walk. And my XL Recon for outdoors/bush whacking, when going minimalist.

9. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I guess I need to bite the bullet and get one of the xl voyagers. I've never owned a super huge monster bladed folder before.

jux t likes this.
  10. GlockMonkey

GlockMonkey

Sep 8, 2002
    Do it. I just recently got my first XL voyager and have been carrying it for the last week or so. They seem like a real value to me. It's a really nice knife for the price. The XL Talwar is probably my favorite over the top mega folder so far and the Frenzy is the easiest to pocket carry, but I like this Voyager way more than I thought I would. Definitely going to pick up another blade style in the future.

11. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I really want a regular sized Talwar

12. GlockMonkey

GlockMonkey

Sep 8, 2002
    The smaller Talwar is great, one of my favorites. Not sure why the Talwar wasn't more popular. I can see where it could be a bad fit for larger hands. I usually wear a large in gloves and it's really comfortable for me, but it could be cramped if your hands are bigger.