Recon 1 XL Show and Tell

I can't put this thing down, thanks Cold Steel...

[video=youtube;yoBszVB_xU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBszVB_xU8[/video]

I'm gonna pick up a Recon XL clip point eventually, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nice vid, I appreciated your honesty. :thumbup: I'm not sure yet. After already getting the Rajah 2 and the XL & large Voyagers.................

Thanks for the video. I'd buy the XL if I could feasibly carry it where I live without any problems.

I didn't; I have two different Large Voyagers, though, and I'll be buying a third soon.

That musta been what I was thinking of. I only have 1 large Voyager(Vaquero fully serrated, got it for $20, how's that for a bargain?), but got all 3 XL models. Don't actually have ANY of the Recon lineup, the XL Clip Point will be the first one I get, whenever I eventually get around to it. Next knife order though I'm looking to expand my Spyderco lineup(thinking blue Endura, green Delica, purple Ladybug, and possibly the waved Matriarch) though so I'll be putting off the Recon a big longer.

That musta been what I was thinking of. I only have 1 large Voyager(Vaquero fully serrated, got it for $20, how's that for a bargain?), but got all 3 XL models. Don't actually have ANY of the Recon lineup, the XL Clip Point will be the first one I get, whenever I eventually get around to it. Next knife order though I'm looking to expand my Spyderco lineup(thinking blue Endura, green Delica, purple Ladybug, and possibly the waved Matriarch) though so I'll be putting off the Recon a big longer.
The Voyagers are great, though you're missing out if you don't have a Recon 1. Excellent G-10 handles.

The Voyagers are great, though you're missing out if you don't have a Recon 1. Excellent G-10 handles.

Eventually I'll get one. So many things I want, but so little money to get them all with. And it never ends-as soon as it looks like I might be getting close to everything I want from a company...they release their new lineup, and suddenly, there's a dozen more things I want from them, heh.

Does this have any "rattling" issues? My Recon 1 spear point had a dreadful rattle almost two days after carrying it.

Does this have any "rattling" issues? My Recon 1 spear point had a dreadful rattle almost two days after carrying it.
I had a new (reg size) clip point that was nice and tight but my new (reg size) spear point came with a little play in the blade -- not a rattle, though. I just had to tighten the pivot a bit and that fixed the issue. A "rattle" would sound and feel "dreadful" to me too. Maybe contact CS to get a fix?

How do the finger grooves feel on the XL? I've not been able to carry my large spear point or the three mediums I bought as I just can't get used to the grooves. I suppose it's a moot point as I'm happy enough with my fifty dollar XL Voyager (still not sold on the "ergonomics", but they're tolerable enough). :D

I wish they made it with a 3.5" blade; the regular is still huge and the mini... well, need I say more?

This might be the stop pin that's down inside the handle that stops the edge from contacting the back spring. I remember hearing that the early all G-10 Recons had this issue due to slightly oversized holes for the lower stop pin. I don't know if this has been addressed in the current production models or not.

edit: Here's a thread with a good fix video: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/799091-Cold-Steel-Recon-1-problem

Last edited:
How do the finger grooves feel on the XL? I've not been able to carry my large spear point or the three mediums I bought as I just can't get used to the grooves. I suppose it's a moot point as I'm happy enough with my fifty dollar XL Voyager (still not sold on the "ergonomics", but they're tolerable enough). :D

It fits my hand like a glove, the Voyager is a little less comfortable IMO... I wanted a big ole Tanto, it will be a recon and not a voyager...

Back