Recurve Hone

I have DMT Diafolds in all grits. I'm going to try out one their Magna Guides. I wanted to pick something else up (and get Amazon free shipping).

I figured I could use something to touch up my two, already sharp recurves. BM710 and a ZT0301. Is there a hone that you would recommend to work into those pesky curves? Thanks :)

I have DMT Diafolds in all grits. I'm going to try out one their Magna Guides. I wanted to pick something else up (and get Amazon free shipping).

I figured I could use something to touch up my two, already sharp recurves. BM710 and a ZT0301. Is there a hone that you would recommend to work into those pesky curves? Thanks :)

This came up in another thread in the last day or two. I personally haven't tried it yet, but I have noticed that DMT has a curved face hone (#DMT-ACG) for recurve blades. Here's a link to DMT's page (scroll down the page a bit; you'll see a list & pic of what hones are available for the Aligner):

http://www.dmtsharp.com/press/aligner.htm

Regardless of whether you use the aligner or not, the hones can still be used freehand, if that's your preference.

Last edited:
The problem with the curved DMT hone when used with the aligner is, when you have a recurved clamped in to the aligner the distance from the angle hold to the edge changes from recurve to belly. On the inner part of the curve the angle will be ok but as you reach the belly the distance is increased making the sharpening angle more acute. So if your 15 degrees at the inner curve of the blade the belly could be as low as 10 degrees.

It makes for uneven bevels and the stone only comes in Fine grit so its more of a PITA than anything.

FYI, your diafolds will sharpen your 710 and 03xx you just gotta curve your hand a bit.

To make life easy put sandpaper over the round corner of a 2x4.

FYI, your diafolds will sharpen your 710 and 03xx you just gotta curve your hand a bit.

To make life easy put sandpaper over the round corner of a 2x4.

Thanks knifenut1013. I figured it would do the 710 since the recurve is so gentle, but I was concerned about the wicked recurve on the 0301.

So, to make sure I'm uderstanding you, I'd be rolling the edge of the Diafold, to go from a more flat angle to hitting the blade (in the recurve) with the edge of the Diafold by turning the wrist?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Keep the edge at 90 degrees to the stone throughout the stroke. If you lay the blade down on a piece of paper and trace the edge that is the curve of the blade you must follow.

I think he is saying to keep the scratches at 90* to the edge, so the stone would be as well...

I did notice they had extra fine and fine diamond steels that looked like they might work. They also had a diamond/ceramic triangle that is 3 grits that I was looking at for serrations, though it might work on the recurves as well. I am keeping an eye out for something to work on my 0100, so am in a similiar boat. I can work all but about 1" of it with my 6x2 stones. I can actually get pretty close with the dia-folds, but the steel is so tough that it is a lot of work if you bugger up the edge.

Last edited:
Thanks Any Cal. I feel very comfortable with steels so I'll have a look at the extra fine and fine diamond steels . :)

http://www.dmtsharp.com/press/aligner.htm

Regardless of whether you use the aligner or not, the hones can still be used freehand, if that's your preference.

I have all of those hones + the WS4XX that is listed on this page:
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/ski.htm
The curved hone I use in the holder, but not with the clamp - I just freehand with that one. As knifenut says it is only a fine hone, so OK for touch ups but not really good enough for reprofiling or repairing the edge. I usually go with wet'n'dry sandpaper wrapped around a large dowel for sharpening recurves.

I bought the Magna Guide and a ceramic fine stick last night. That should handle it. Thanks all. :thumbup:

Back