Red rouge and a muslim wheel

I learned something tonight. It's probably something that others have been trying to teach this dull mind for some time but, in any event, tonight I learned it.

I took a 1/2" muslim wheel on the grinder and charged it with red rouge. Now, I do this on occasion to shine something up, but never tried it on a blade. I fed my BRKT Highland special in, slowly, at a very gentle angle.....and then went down the edge. A couple of passes on each side and I increased the angle a little. This took all the fine scratches off the blade and left it razor sharp!!! The blade looked brand new!

So now, I have a problem getting my RAT-3 in D2 as sharpt as I want it. It's sharp, Ok?...but not hair popping sharp. I ran the RAT through the muslim a time or three. The edge improved. So I charged the wheel with green rouge. Now that helped! The D2 is still not as I want it, but it's noticeably sharper than it was. I didn;t spend much time on it, but that RAT-3 is going to be my guinea pig for the next week or so!

Any ideas or suggestions?

define "muslim wheel" for me? I assume a buffing or polishing wheel? Not a wheel that faces the east and prays to Allah several times a day, right?

get a set of cardboard wheels from stevebot. every knife you sharpen will be scarry sharp. a sisal wheel will also sharpen a knife but the cardboard wheel works a whole lot better and is somewhat cleaner.

Back