Reference for practice

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by red1965, Nov 14, 2009.

1. red1965

red1965

Apr 21, 2009
    I recently ordered a practice (plastic) katana and would like to know what would be good reference ( books or videos ) to learn some basic moves. I'm not looking to be Ray Parks anytime soon, just some basic stuff. Thanks for any help.

2. zignal_zero

zignal_zero

Apr 16, 2008
    i have "Training of the Modern Swordsman" (or something very close to that) and i love the book. i've read it, loaned it out, and re read it.

however, in the very beginning, the author explains it is NOT a book on sword "techniques" he says that there are plenty of those. he says it's more a book on training methods.

whatever it is, it's an excellent book that makes a fine addition to anyone's library.... and it's cheap :D

ETA - which boken did you get? the Coldsteel? i ask because i don't know of many plastic ones.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. zignal_zero

zignal_zero

Apr 16, 2008
  4. red1965

red1965

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. And yes, it is a Cold Steel trainer.

5. DrivebyTrucker

DrivebyTrucker

Nov 8, 2005
    Personally I train my sword technique by copying what I see in movies. I recommend Highlander to start.

6. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    You do realize that has minimal if any, foundation in practical application, right?

In other words, if you came at me with what you "learned" from the movies, your likelihood of having a major appendage cut from your body is virtually the same as if you had no practice whatsoever.

It is not at all a rigid training weapon..it is slightly less than a useless piece of crap..you are far better off getting a bokken made of white oak.

Purchase my Sensei's book, you could probably use the help:

http://www.amazon.com/Flashing-Steel-2nd-Eishin-Ryu-Swordsmanship/dp/1583941975/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. red1965

red1965

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks for your input Steven. I have a CS knife trainer and have put it to alot of use with no problems. I expected the boken to be the same. I have not recieved it yet, so I cannot comment on its usefulness. If this is something I think I will pursue I will look at better equipment.

8. Kohai999

Jul 15, 2003
    Maybe......a knife trainer can be be somewhat flexible in order to minimize damage to your training partner.

Sword trainers NEED to be rigid in order to effectively practice blocks, and counter movement....if you get more serious, you'll figure it out.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

9. zignal_zero

zignal_zero

Apr 16, 2008
    i also train with Coldsteel trainers (knives). i would not be quick to discount the CS Boken, before actually trying it. it is my understanding it is NOT made from the same flexible material that their training knives are and is fairly solid.

i, personally, use a wooden boken. however, i doubt very seriously your training time is going to wasted because you have a plastic one. if it's a TINY bit of flex we're talking about, i don't believe it will make that much difference. maybe for someone at a really advanced level, but for basic practicing seems like it would suffice. especially considering blocking with a boken and a live blade are already VERY different.

be safe, have fun :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. Kohai999

Jul 15, 2003
    Tried it....bendy, bendy, bendy.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

11. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    I have the coldsteel boken and it is far to light and floppy, go with wood.

12. zignal_zero

zignal_zero

Apr 16, 2008

cool, man, thank you for the hedzup. i had considered buying one, if i broke mine, but now would not. i have no doubt you train alot more than me and i really trust your opinion. i'll definately put it on my skip list.

it's funny that i got the right one on accident. you say white oak is best, right? that's what i bought just because i found one for cheap

thanks again :)

13. red1965

red1965

Apr 21, 2009
    Upon the advice here I have ordered a white oak boken from Century. I actually got it cheaper than the CS. So I guess I will have two. I might just find out if its unbreakable:D As a side note, ( and just because I have no one else to share it with at the moment) I was awarded my black belt tonight in TKD/Kempo. Our school is a combo of the two arts. My son was also awarded his first degree black ( I have a probation period of 4 months) and my wife was awarded her mid level brown. Sorry for the off topic but I am a proud dad and husband!

14. zignal_zero

zignal_zero

Apr 16, 2008
    CONGRATULATIONS to all three of you :) good to see a family train together.

15. Kohai999

Jul 15, 2003
    Congrats on your personal and family promotion.

The CS is probably unbreakable unless you freeze it....the white oak is not unbreakable....as a general weapon, you could probably do more damage with the CS, but as a training weapon for good form, it is fairly useless.

Hope this makes sense.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

16. galen59

galen59

Mar 7, 2008
    First off, I hate learning out of a book, second, yea I've got lots of reference, If you can get it, (think it's out of print) is "bokken" ISBN# 0-89750-104-7, keep practicing solo kata's, but when you've the basic moves, footwork, etc. down practice with people, you'll learn soooo much more, as for the CS bokken I hated it, far to light, I always loved wood, get even a cheap oak, take the stupid handguard off, whittle on it till your comfortable with it, and have a fun learning experience, remember, it's like swinging a baseball bat, it can damage or kill, your's G.

go out smack some trees with it, take off some branches, thick and thin, have fun.

"I saw the best minds of my generation go into madness, hysterical, naked," -Allen G.