Refresh G10

The black G10 scales on my trusty Manix 2 have become smooth. Is it possible to restore the original texture? I'm hesitant to try sandpaper for fear of damaging the scales.
Any suggestions?

Depends on grit of a sandpaper( I would think). I used 2000 grit, to smooth out mine.

If it's worn down there is nothing you can do to get the peel ply texture back without re-making the scales unfortunately.

Technically, you can use some strong chemicals like sulfuric acid or heat (i.e. boiling water >1 h) to remove epoxy from the surface.
But I guess that is not you really want to do.

Technically, you can use some strong chemicals like sulfuric acid or heat (i.e. boiling water >1 h) to remove epoxy from the surface.
But I guess that is not you really want to do.
Neither one of those methods will remove the resin from G-10:confused:

A quick hit with a bead blast medium might work to make them grippy again, but it wont look the same.

Some of my favorite custom g10 scales have been bead blasted with glass medium.

But, and this is a bit but, I don't know what they looked like before the bead blast.

Koster did a great job with this for the grips on many of his g10 handled knives. I've felt a few from othe makers I really loved.

I have no idea how Spyderco's g10 would respond.

Very easy to restore texture on G10 - absolutely no need to make new scales. Just use a grit blaster. The coarser the grit, the grippier the finish will be. No it won't be an identical finish to tbe original but it is very good and very grippy. I like it better than original personally. And yes, Magic Eraser works great for cleaning G10.

Back