1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Regarding Knifemaker Websites....

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by lessismore, Jun 6, 2019.

1. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    What are you looking for when you research a knifemaker?

What do you like to find? What don't you like to find?

Photos of course, but what about Technical info on the process? Personal info? Background? Opinions?

Personally, if I find humility combined with proficiency, you have my attention. Get in my face and tell me how great you are, I'm gone.

I like a lot of technical info. Show proficiency and you have my attention, blow smoke up me arse, I'm gone.

I do like a little bit of a background, if it's brief and honest, you have my attention. Tell me how badass you were back in the day, I'm gone.

For those of you familiar with Redmeadow, what information do you think would interest folks?

For those of you not familiar, what would you want to know?

2. gunspease

gunspease Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Sound you have it nailed

lessismore likes this.
  3. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    I like to see past projects, the knives that got the makers to where they are today. Also, in the same vein, I'd like to be able to ask that they recreate, or make a similar knife that I find appealing. Many times, however, a maker will have moved on, past that piece, and has no desire to make another. o_O

lessismore and protourist like this.
  4. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    *Pricing is something I like to see.
    Many times I'll see a knife on a thread somewhere on BF and be very interested. Someone will say it's a "Slim Shady Backpocket," or some-such.

I'll go on the interweb and find a nice website, but if there's no price range listed I'm often not gonna bother with the contact form to ask. I wish pricing was more upfront with some makers.

*Timeline is another area that I like to see explained.

Other than that, I think good *photography is something that has to be there. Hire a professional unless you're up to the task.

lessismore and protourist like this.
  5. mgam

mgam Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Here are some things I like to see when researching a knife maker
    • Makers background, experience, years making knives. Has maker worked with other well-known or established makers.
    • Photos of past work and current models being made. Videos are nice as well just to get another perspective.
    • The build process used. Is there focus on handmade, CNC or some combination. This is not just about the build of the knives but how the knives compare it to other knives built using the same process. It does make sense to compare a hand ground blade to one that was made through an automated process.
    • Are orders accepted and if so what's the wait time. If not, is there a time range when I could check back when orders might be taken again or suggestions on how their work can be obtained.
    • I know prices can change based on alot of factors but having a base price is good just to get idea of the range a knife might cost.
    • For the last two, keeping information up-to-date. Maybe having a times stamp of the last time updated to know if information is current
    Most of this stuff is very specific. I don't think I have ever seen a maker provide all this information but I wanted to throw it out just to think about. I know most makers are one-man shops and don't have alot of time to spend doing overhead work but it could help with attracting customers. If you ever get to the point that you have years of backlog work then this stuff becomes less important.

lessismore and Pinemoon like this.
  6. James Usher

James Usher

May 3, 2019
    well I always go for best knife in my budget!! keeps them balance !

7. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    I like to see a website that has lots of photos and prices of previously sold knives. I like to see a few shop photos and I like to read to the technical info as well. The sales pitches I don't need, I like to see the knife photos speak for themselves. This is just my 2 cents.

Pinemoon, lessismore and protourist like this.
  8. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Gene Ingram used to have a website that was overwhelming. (I could stare at it for hours). He has cleaned it up and I like the new format.

http://geneingramknives.com/home/

I would like to see the Knife Info page be a little more in depth and an "About Me" page but overall, I like the clean design.

lessismore likes this.