Regular Sebenza Lockup

Since Regular Sebenzas are quite old nowadays and the lockup may have moved to over 85% (on used knives) or so, sooner or later some might actually hit the opposing handle scale. Additionally, I have found at late lockup it is slightly harder to disengage the lockbar.

Not sure if discussed before but I was pondering on how it can be remedied. Should you carbidize the lockbar interface? I would think not. Instead I thought of if the STOP PIN diameter was slightly larger (not sure exactly how much but testing will tell) it would push the blade down and thereby causing earlier lockup. Since it will alter the lockup it will alter the closed position as well and the detent ball might not entirely get in the lock hole. So was thinking that a very slight polishing of the area (sharpening choil area) where the stop pin touches the blade in closed position would fix that issue.

Basically if all tested and done correctly you could end up with in a manner of speaking a brand new knife in terms of lockup.

Anyone here with skills and/or equipment that can test this? I have contacted CRK but have not heard back yet.

I have 2 large cgg and 1 small unique regs. All there of them have good lockup, 50-60%.
I know my Moon Song was used quite a bit I got it. It didn't have a spa when I got it and still doesn't have one.

I'd Call,not email, CRK and ask to talk to someone who has been at CRK for a while.
I've called CRK a few times to get answers and advise. CRK is not open on Fridays.

CRK has larger stop pin sleeves for knives that eventually go to the other side. But it can only be done once and you have to send it in to do so.

That's good to know. I've got one from 97 that has about 98% lock up and it sticks a bit. It's never really bothered me since it's a collector and not a user. But I figured, if I ever decide to sell it, it may need to have earlier lock up because some folks are anal about lock up position ;)

my regular sebenza (birth date around 2001) has shown very little wear as far the lock bar is concerned... Yes i use it often...

when I read 80% or more, then I think some of you must be really forcing the lock bar over like you must have some kind of really bad habit or something eg OCD ... LOL

CRK has larger stop pin sleeves for knives that eventually go to the other side. But it can only be done once and you have to send it in to do so.

Thats very funny because i called them a day or so ago and that is not what they told me. Maybe the representative was not aware of this.

Thats very funny because i called them a day or so ago and that is not what they told me. Maybe the representative was not aware of this.

I was told the same as you not so long ago. Who knows..maybe they changed the policy.

my regular sebenza (birth date around 2001) has shown very little wear as far the lock bar is concerned... Yes i use it often...

when I read 80% or more, then I think some of you must be really forcing the lock bar over like you must have some kind of really bad habit or something eg OCD ... LOL

I am not the original owner of my large regular so I would not have that info. However, besides using my folders to cut stuff and I also fondle with them, opening them different ways. My personal favorite is to have a full grip on handle and from an almost open position to slowly open all the way and hear that awesome locking sound that is as good a therapy as any.

Since Regular Sebenzas are quite old nowadays and the lockup may have moved to over 85% (on used knives) or so, sooner or later some might actually hit the opposing handle scale. Additionally, I have found at late lockup it is slightly harder to disengage the lockbar.

Not sure if discussed before but I was pondering on how it can be remedied. Should you carbidize the lockbar interface? I would think not. Instead I thought of if the STOP PIN diameter was slightly larger (not sure exactly how much but testing will tell) it would push the blade down and thereby causing earlier lockup. Since it will alter the lockup it will alter the closed position as well and the detent ball might not entirely get in the lock hole. So was thinking that a very slight polishing of the area (sharpening choil area) where the stop pin touches the blade in closed position would fix that issue.

Basically if all tested and done correctly you could end up with in a manner of speaking a brand new knife in terms of lockup.

Anyone here with skills and/or equipment that can test this? I have contacted CRK but have not heard back yet.

Definitely the big issue with the stop pin enlargement is that is makes it so the detent doesn’t fall into the hole on the blade anymore. In theory this could be remedied by wearing away abit of steel where the stop pin rests when the knife is closed.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Many crks come with fairly late lockup and even at 85% the knife should have plenty of life yet.

Best bet is to wait for a response from crk.

Bill you seem to have a machinist skill/job/tools. Are you able to make those stop pins for an order?

Yes..it's something I would personally do to my own, but gets tricky when others do work to CRK's products to "fix" them as far as warranty work. As their moderator, I would be going against policy to do something like that as they consider me an employee in some regards..(not in the $$ department but a face to the company arena)

changing the stop sleeve diameter should not be that big of a deal as far as detents go.. The diameter wouldn't have to change much at all to give some breathing room on lockup. I suspect maybe .002-.005in..but I would have to toy with it..No regulars to work on I'm afraid..at least not any PJ's.

i would post an image of my 2001 Reg Sebenza lockup bar position but I don't think the forum software will allow me to so

i would post an image of my 2001 Reg Sebenza lockup bar position but I don't think the forum software will allow me to so

Not without a paid membership..otherwise, you would need to use an image host like IMGUR and paste the link.

Yes..it's something I would personally do to my own, but gets tricky when others do work to CRK's products to "fix" them as far as warranty work. As their moderator, I would be going against policy to do something like that as they consider me an employee in some regards..(not in the $$ department but a face to the company arena)

changing the stop sleeve diameter should not be that big of a deal as far as detents go.. The diameter wouldn't have to change much at all to give some breathing room on lockup. I suspect maybe .002-.005in..but I would have to toy with it..No regulars to work on I'm afraid..at least not any PJ's.

Isn’t there something about rotating or flipping around the stop pin sleeve in order to change the lockup? Or did I dream about reading about that?

Isn’t there something about rotating or flipping around the stop pin sleeve in order to change the lockup? Or did I dream about reading about that?

You aren't dreaming it at all..Have heard that solution pitched many times. Having made both pieces, I am dubious that it would actually work with anymore affect than what happens when people take down and reassemble their knives to begin with.

My view is why worry about where the lockbar is unless it's causing a problem? I've never felt a knife with “late” lockup was worse in any way than a knife with “early” lockup. If anything the knives with the lockbar barely engaged would be less “safe” no?

You're likely to seeing a difference from gripping the knife (and lockbar) tightly or after putting pressure on the blade so the lock adjusts inward a bit.

You aren't dreaming it at all..Have heard that solution pitched many times. Having made both pieces, I am dubious that it would actually work with anymore affect than what happens when people take down and reassemble their knives to begin with.

To me the stop pin sleeve seems perfectly round. I have heard it claimed that you can rotate it or something to change lockup. However there is no mark on the sleeve to index where the default position is. So how am I supposed to know what position it is in?

Is this just a crk rumour? A crk urban legend?

To me the stop pin sleeve seems perfectly round. I have heard it claimed that you can rotate it or something to change lockup. However there is no mark on the sleeve to index where the default position is. So how am I supposed to know what position it is in?

Is this just a crk rumour? A crk urban legend?

Not a myth, but likely overestimated as to it's effect
This quote of Anne's is from the FAQ's
"The stop sleeve, against which the blade rests when the knife is open, can be rotated it necessary to get just a tiny bit of take-up"

Back