1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rehanging Without Damaging the Existing Handle

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by High_Noon, Aug 13, 2018.

1. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    I was able to get the steel wedge out by drilling a hole in the wedge and screwing in a machine screw and then using a claw hammer to pry it out. The old steel wedge actually came out quite easily. I then used a wood rasp to drop the head about 1/2," which was a bit too much, but it just worked out that way. The axe is now rehung on the old haft and I used a Black Locust wedge. I went back to the shop today and gave the wedge a few more taps with the hand sledge, then cut off the top of the haft/wedge about 3\8" proud, slightly beveled the edges of the top of the haft, sanded the entire haft and put 3 coats of BLO on it. The axe is now soaking upside down in about 1/2" of BLO, which I will leave soaking for 24 to 48 hours. Then, I'll put another few coats of BLO on the haft since it's about 30+ years old and is quite dry and thirsty and then I'll run a file to sharpen it up a bit better. The sheath I made in '84 needs some work, so I'll repair that as well. Hopefully, this procedure will give me many more years of use. Thanks to everyone for their input. I will post a photo or 2 once the BLO procedure is complete.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I'm running short for time so i didn't read the whole thread and don't know if this has been recommended yet. I pre- drill two small holes in the wedge and then put a couple screws into those piloted holes. You need to pilot otherwise the screws will expand the wedge further. Then just use a hammer, vice or whatever to pull them out. Coincidentally i just did this 5 minutes ago with a factory plumb handle i was reusing. [​IMG]

Jasper33 and survivor45 like this.
  3. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    Here are a few crappy photos of the finished product (before sharpening). I may try to get some better photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miller '72, Nbrackett and DB_Cruiser like this.