REKAT CTD/Dead?..what now?

Originally posted by mikemck
If Benchmade did buy the rights to the rolling lock just so nobody else can use it, I can promise I will never buy or use another BM product, for any reason.

Crap like that seriously pisses me off to no end.

First they jerk around with Emerson and he leaves. No prob, people come and go, course of business. Then, Elishewitz brings up an issue of BM shorting the royalties and THEY fire him! All this right after Elisheitz 690 becomes their flagship model.:rolleyes:

The BM Sentinal (I think, I know it was a Elishewitz/BM but the salesman never said the knife's name) was the first high-end knife I ever wanted. I had the money and was on leave after boot camp with my dad in his favorite storing goods store(two hour road trip, that kinda favorite). I didn't want to impulse buy such a "high dollar knife":rolleyes: ($110 I think), so I said "next time." Of course, there was no next time. I was thinking about buying a Blue Star when the Elishewitz news broke. BM said his designs didn't "produce." His designs practically built BM!

BTW, I handled a Blue Star this weekend, it didn't impress me as much as the old Sentinal did. Handle didn't sit right and the opening didn't had that SNAP! (I told the salesman the Sentinal was "smoother than a switchblade"). Yes, it is true you can never go home again. I plan to buy a use large Sentinal someday for sentimental reasons (BM already got paid, but it won't be my money!), but that will have to wait until A) I'm richer/less poor and B) away from this stupid 3" limit!

So I agree, I'm not sending BM any of my money. I won't stop others tho, hell I just recommended BM over Emerson in another thread! I also recommended my favorite company Cold Steel! But apparently they are playing name games with ATC, so they may not be pillars of virtue themselves. So far, I'll risk being a hypocrite because I like their knives. I hope this issue gets cleared up, but if it's true and CS continues... Spyderco will start seeing my money.

Well IF Benchmade bought the Rolling lock, I hope they also bought the rights to the various knife designs. Well let me rephrase that, I hope Benchmade bought both the Rolling Lock and knife designs, so Benchmade can put them into production. Whatever problems REKAT had with the Rolling Lock, I'm sure Benchmade could solve them. REKAT never was that large of a knife company when compared to Benchmade, Spyderco ect. They didn't have the resources to fix some of their problems. This is of course just speculation on my part and my $.02.

Hello All

I am looking to purchase a Pocket Hobbit , Black Blade , in very good
condition . Anyone know of any for sale ?

Town-Whore

Hi Town-Whore,

I would bet you get better results if you posted in the knives wanted to buy forum.

Benchmade does have the Rolling Lock. It is on a knife that is already available (The Ambush, if I'm correct). They seem to be using it on their lower end import selection.

Benchmade is using the rolling lock, from their site:
ROLLING LOCK™ WITH INDRAFT™
A new patented Benchmade exclusive, which was originally in the custom market for a time. The Rolling Lock utilizes a sizable, notched lock-pin, which secures against the blade tang when engaged. To disengage, a spring actuated thumb button on the right handle side is drawn back to rotate the lock pin and free the blade. InDraft is a patented exclusive, which is a combination of a slotted liner and a pin in the blade tang working in tandem to generate an inward inertia when closing the blade. This results in one of the safest blade detents available today.
Not sure if this means no one else can use it though.

Hey Guys...

RWS Writes:

"First one, is that the sheath for my Pocket Hobbit is in need of replacement. Is there any sources y'all could suggest that would have 'em available? if not I'd imagine I could have one made, but I'd really prefer to stick with factory, if at all possible."

Where do you think the factory gets sheaths made ??:)

Most if not all of the sheaths were made by custom makers..
If I'm correct Mike Sastre made a lot of those sheaths, especially for the Pikuni...

I carry my own Pikuni in one of Mike's rigs.

Seems to me, the last time I talked with Mike a few months ago, I thought I noticed a couple of REKATS in his display... They Maybe for sale,,and it would be worth giving him a shout...

As far as the Hobbit is concerned,, I believe Mike has a Hobbit available, and would bet he'd make you a nice OEM sheath for it...

ttyle

Eric....

Talk about thread Necromancy

Agreed, Spark! I did not make the factory Pocket Hobbit sheaths (before my association with REKAT), but do make an improved one that REKAT used for some special presentations.

Mike...

I stand corrected..:)

You do then currently make a sheath for this knife ?
If so ,if I get any calls on it,, i'll send them your way..

ttyle

Eric....

Spark said:
Talk about thread Necromancy

Wow!!! 2 years and 4 days between posts. That has to be a record.

I really liked the Carnivore design. I wouldn't mind someone like Benchmade making it, but I'm sure that wont happen.

At least Benchmade is using the rolling lock in some knives now. I am glad they didn't just shelve it.

The Benchmade version of the Rolling Lock is what I wish the REKAT version would have developed into. I still have my Bladeforums REKAT Carnivore an it is still one of my favorite knives!

Back