REK'd Busses & Kin /Josh Appreciation Thread

dyMhFJ2.jpg

oQGHPZD.jpg

These two got REK’d a couple years back. 220 grit satin finish from coated models.

The Combat Grade was thinned from .22” thick to .187” during the satinizing. It has since found a HAPPY new home!!

The TGLBm is one of my absolute favourite Busse models and Josh really brought the slice and dice out on it!!!

2A4A7007-0C7B-400B-8A45-C5C1E754DBA5.jpeg

I like that, stjones. I don’t like the double talon quillon on the TG series, but otherwise admire the design. Great development of the classic American combat issue blade. Maybe I will pick up a mini and send her to Josh for thinning like yours - AND removal of the spine-side talon. Ha! Hmmmm. . . while I am at it, I think I’d have him remove BOTH talons. HaHa! Given the shape of the handle/grip and with that “user” choil, neither are necessary, IMHO. Now that would be a cool knife!

snip...The Combat Grade was thinned from .22” thick to .187” during the satinizing...snip

That would be a cool thing to have done. Do you know, did he remove the scales and then surface-mill the stock down? I've always thought a really thin rodent solution would be nice.

That would be a cool thing to have done. Do you know, did he remove the scales and then surface-mill the stock down? I've always thought a really thin rodent solution would be nice.

My understanding is that for work that goes that far he necessarily removes the scales. He will then replace with either Busse-style tube flares or Torx bolts (believe it or not, the Torx are the less expensive option).

He did remove the scales.
I didn’t ask to have it thinned but the steel was pitted under the coating and the only way to achieve its sexy completed satin it “needed” to be taken down.

I haven’t had a RS in hand but it would be awesome to see a REK’d anorexic RS.

REK Knives REK Knives does AMAZING work!!!

You guys are too kind haha :D I can't believe I get my own appreciation thread lol! It is truly an honor.

yeah for a full satin finish the scales have to be removed.

Man... Check this out. I just clipped this point on a sarsquatch the other day and zero ground it, I'm really liking how it turned out! As was pointed out above I had to thin this one down by about .020" to remove all the pitting underneath but it turned out beautiful imho.

i-KPdJLWp-X4.jpg

Anytime I see a knife on the exchange that says "REK" or "REK'ed" I'm firing up my PayPal account. I've sent in two of my own and the dude is awesome.

Here's my Park Ranger with blade profile work, enlarged choil, jimping, and straightened handle to fit my hand better. Oh yeah this PR started as a CG with black coated blade so Josh put a satin finish on it. Knife was so sharp that I was afraid to handle it. Here's the thread I posted outlining the work and the process.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/reked-park-ranger-pic-heavy.1585333/
20180521_194506 (2).jpg

knife7 (2).jpg

Next is my Butaniku Short. Had a satin finish put on this and a real nice edge since it wasn't very sharp from the factory. It is most definitely ready for the apocalypse.
20190525_200122 (2).jpg

20190525_200317.jpg

And a TGLB I picked up off the exchange that goes everywhere with me when I'm out in the woods on my farm. Basically a TGULB before the TGULB existed. :)
20190725_093253 (2).jpg

20190825_151508 (2).jpg

Hey Y'all - had to chime in. That's my Squatch - in the hands of USPS right now and I should have it soon!

I am absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. As many others have attested, Josh was absolutely amazing to work with. Phenomenal attention to detail - he had to grind away enough material doing the full satin that he lost the line I originally drew in sharpie on the blade as to what I wanted removed for the clip. He went so far as to personally contact me to confirm a new clip line before he ground it in.

Top-notch stuff - When in doubt, Josh is the guy to send your blades to.

You guys are too kind haha :D I can't believe I get my own appreciation thread lol! It is truly an honor.

Man... Check this out.”

And humble, too. Hey, such a thread is long overdue, Josh! This is especially true with the Custom Shop being closed to us, but even were that not the case you and your work easily warrant the attention and appreciation.

If this thread gets the play it deserves, I would love to see a mod sticky it. Given the vital role you play in the Busse/kin community, and again, especially with the Shop closed, REK is a vital resource to be highlighted.

Oh, and yeah, freakin’ awesome ‘Squatch! I agree that this profile suits the knife much better. Very nice, indeed!

Man... Check this out. I just clipped this point on a sarsquatch the other day and zero ground it, I'm really liking how it turned out! As was pointed out above I had to thin this one down by about .020" to remove all the pitting underneath but it turned out beautiful imho.

i-KPdJLWp-X4.jpg
That's a real beauty looks much better now, great idea. I wouldn't mind owning this one.

I agree REK Knives REK Knives , that Squatch turned out AWESOME!!! I was never really a fan of the drop point so that clip and satin is gorgeous!!!

That's a real beauty looks much better now, great idea. I wouldn't mind owning this one.
I completely agree! I never liked the Squatch, but this one looks great - amazing work Josh! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Back