reliable, affordable production made "tactical" tomahawks?

I'd rather have something I can easily replace
When lives are at stake and "ol hickory" snaps there probably will not be time to replace a handle.
Wood handles for bushcraft,camping, etc no problem. Combat/rescue work- a good full tang for me.

Anyone have a(quality)full tang tomahawk failure: picture, story, or rumor?

I love my H&B forge hawk and that is what I would recommend if you were not looking for a synthetic handled hawk. Since you want synthetic I would suggest Estwing. The price is good and their axes are a excellent value.

I have an ATC VTAC. It's a quality piece of kit and a good value. I'm sure someone, somewhere has broken one. I don't know how...

I have an ATC VTAC. It's a quality piece of kit and a good value. I'm sure someone, somewhere has broken one. I don't know how...

Since the new handles have been made (2004 I believe) there have been 7 handle failures reported. Out of however many thousands of VTACs that have been sold....7 breaks is a very impressive success ratio. Especially since many sales are made to military, LE and rescue units.

I know first hand Fehrman has tried a number of different nylon/glass type composites and the current model has under gone extreme testing with fantastic results.

I actually have one of their models in a press right now that's been flexed and bent at a ridiculous angle for several weeks now and it shows no signs of fatigue.

As far as breaking one by a human generated impact......I doubt its even possible. I've certainly tried and will continue to.

Since the new handles have been made (2004 I believe) there have been 7 handle failures reported. Out of however many thousands of VTACs that have been sold....7 breaks is a very impressive success ratio. Especially since many sales are made to military, LE and rescue units...

That's good to know and confirms my "sample of one". By the way, do you know of a good kydex sheath for the VTAC? The OEM nylon sheath is a bit underwhelming. Thanks very much.

Here's the only two on the market for the VTAC.......the top one is made by "Survival Sheaths" and the bottom one can be bought straight from Fehrman.

For your criteria of synthetic handle and $100, I'd throw my vote in for the ATC VTAC. Very tough piece of gear.

I'd avoid anything with a rabbet tang, wooden handle, or a cast stainless head.

Yup. Those are real nice.

For crawling around in the woods I prefer a wooden handled axe, polled axe or hawk. Don't know much about what's best for "tactical" requirements as don't have that need.

And what if you manage to break or bend a full tang hawk? Don't say it can't happen. It can. I've seen a crowbar snap before. I'd rather have something I can easily replace myself instead of having someone reforge it much later.

Who am I kidding, I might as well talk to my dogs about this.

I think it is easier to break a wooden handle than one made of steel. I know that sounds crazy talking dogs not withstanding. That said for my needs I am all about the wooden handle however what "I" require might not work for others. Maybe Storm Crow was expressing a similar idea. Not every tool is prefect for every need.

Originally posted by Snakebreaker: "Here's the only two on the market for the VTAC.......the top one is made by "Survival Sheaths" and the bottom one can be bought straight from Fehrman." Thank you sir. I've contacted Fehrman for details and pricing. Best regards, ELN.

The CS Trench hawk is a very good tool. I used mine daily for 2 years (tower crane rigger/construction). The handle failed once,after being use for prying in very cold temps. Replacement handles are inexpensive ($8) and easy to change. Well worth $50. I have switched to the CS Rifleman's hawk because the hammer is more useful than the spike.

Back