Remember where you is

and not where your going. I have a really bad habit especially when I'm forging to be consumed in what I'm doing. This morning was the first time in a month that I was able to do some forging because of the arthritis pain I've been having in my right hand. It really felt good and I was in the zone. I started to get a little thirsty and noticed a Propel bottle on the bench just to my right. Naturally I picked it up and took a swig of it. At that instant I knew I had made a mistake. It happened to be the bottle I used for wet forging. Fortunately it wasn't the water that had come out of the bucket that my hammers were soaking in like normal but I'm sure I never rinsed it out when I put the fresher water in it. I hadn't tasted water that bad since Nam. I know I swallowed a little bit of it and just know sometime today it could come up again. I just hope I don't get to sick from it.

Actually the main reason for this post is about the smaller forged blade in the picture. I've had a small chunk of buggy spring setting on my trash can bench for several months that I thought I ought to do something with. The drawing on the paper was the actual size of the the steel I started with. Before forging the blade I forged the width of that little bar back into it self and got it to about 5" X 1" X 1/4" and then I forged the blade in about an hours time using nothing but hand held hammers. The Rib Tickler just happened to be laying in my light box. I hope to get some better pictures of it later today.

IMG_0550.JPG

man ray...hope u don't get sick.....i like the shape of that little one alot....of course the big one is as sleek and cool looking as usual.....could you explain wet forging a little since u brought it up....or should i say drank some of it:D.....only kidding.....what benefits does it have....any drawbacks.....why would u do it rather than forge normally.....thanks for any explanation....ryan

Wet forging is a technique originally developed by Japanese smiths where you get the surface of the anvil wet (they traditionally used a small mop made of straw) and dip your hammer's face in water as well. Then, as you strike your hot workpiece the water blasts into puffs of steam and takes scale off with it, thus reducing the work required to finish it. Any authorities are welcome to step in and correct me if I missed anything. :D
Gavin

fitzo

Gold Member
That brings to mind the story about the day I quit chewing tobacco, Ray. Me and my old lady, Sunshine, were hauling a load of hay down from up north to deliver to stables in the area. Mikey has a wad of RedMan in his mouth, spittin' into an empty Coke bottle so's he won't juice the outside of his pickup. Sunshine is drinking a Coke. The bottles are sitting next to each other on the seat when Sunshine reaches over without looking, grabs her bottle and takes a big pull. Needless to say, it was the wrong bottle. Spat out tobacco spit sure can make a mess inside a truck. LOL

And that was the day I gave up chew for good. :eek:

Maybe a couple winds of duct tape around that bottle of yours might act as a reminder against a repeat performance. ;)

Last edited:
Dang Ray,Arthritis, forgetting where your at and picking a bottle to drink.....sounds like an old man:p:confused:
Just Kidding I really do like the knife and hope you don't get sick

That brings to mind the story about the day I quit chewing tobacco, Ray. Me and my old lady, Sunshine, were hauling a load of hay down from up north to deliver to stables in the area. Mikey has a wad of RedMan in his mouth, spittin' into an empty Coke bottle so's he won't juice the outside of his pickup. Sunshine is drinking a Coke. The bottles are sitting next to each other on the seat when Sunshine reaches over without looking, grabs her bottle and takes a big pull. Needless to say, it was the wrong bottle. Spat out tobacco spit sure can make a mess inside a truck. LOL

And that was the day I gave up chew for good. :eek:

Maybe a couple winds of duct tape around that bottle of yours might act as a reminder against a repeat performance. ;)

the same thing happened to me but it was a pepsi and it was filled with cigarette ashes....ryan

I keep a propel bottle about 1/3 full in my car for cigarette butts. The wife and I were out shopping and she picked up the wrong bottle and spit out cigarette juice all over my windshield. Two months later, she sneakly switched my bottles as I was looking for a turn off and got me with my own bottle. Good woman and an evil sense of humor too.

I'm still standing upright. I had a partial bottle of Propel in the fridge and was going to bring it out to the shop with me but since it was cool I decided to bring coffee instead. At 61 I'm in titled to have a few brain farts every now and then. I hear it only gets worse the older you get.

Ryan, The explanation of wet forging that Gavin gave is right on as far as I know. There are a few steels that I will forge that I think I benefit from by forging wet. Buggy spring for one and L-6 being the other. Both decarb up more while forging and doing it wet eliminates some of the mess. I knew sooner or later that Propel bottle was going to be an issue. I took the label off of it so maybe that will save me from doing it again.

Here's a couple pictures of the finished knife using the the forged blade at the top of the thread. The blade itself ended up being 5" with an overall length of 9 1/2". I added a piece of rosewood for a spacer along with the sambar stag handle. Iron was again used for the fittings. No ill affects from drinking the nasty water. I maybe a touch wiser now but thats not saying much.

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

Last edited:

A C Richards

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ray,

You are going to have one crowded table at Blade West!!! Remember they areonly going to be 6 footers... Nice as usual though.. See you at the show.

Ray,

You are going to have one crowded table at Blade West!!! Remember they areonly going to be 6 footers... Nice as usual though.. See you at the show.

Chuck, There will be lots of room under the table. I'm wondering if they will be 6' tables or if it is just a misprint. Think I've seen 6 footers advertised before and they have been 8's. I just hope customers decide to come this time. See you next month.

Ray I sure wish I was coming to Blade West.

That's another absolute beauty! Watching you at the forge must be a spiritual experience; seeing your finished work sure is.

Watching you at the forge must be a spiritual experience; seeing your finished work sure is.

Ray, its been a while since I've taken a look at your website ............

DaveLarsens last response isn't too far off. Clicking on your "Knives" tab, the words " Spiritual Experience " comes awfully close to the feeling I got when that page loaded.

Dayum, your knives and your style are Awesome Ray !! :thumbup: :thumbup: And they just keep getting better and more beautiful ! I hope someday I can just get close to the level you've reached with your work.

Ray, like all your knives these are very nice. I always enjoy seeing them and learning of the history behind them. I like using reclaimed steel as well. Keep up the good work...!

Ramsey

As always I appreciate the comments. Dave, I do wish you could make it to Blade West. This is going to be my last forging demo there unless they want to spring for the back adjustment I normally need after I set up and take down. Not sure about the spiritual experience. I see myself more as a stand up comic act.

Ramsey, My friend Steve gave me the buggy spring. It was also in the old barn foundation on his property. Lots of good shit was found mixed in with the old concrete. Lots of wrought iron, horse shoes, hay rake tines, two man cross cut saw, buggy wheels, and an assortment of iron and steel that I couldn't identify. I feel a certain excitement when I forge this old steel.