1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Photos Remington 38H ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by kwackster, Jul 5, 2019.

1. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    Someone offers to sell me this fairly large fixed blade, of which i think it's a Remington 38H model.
    Sad thing is that somewhere in time a previous owner thought it a good idea to roughly grind the area where the brand name might have been, and there's no sheath.
    Current owner made the pictures.
    What do you guys think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Maybe Remington ground their name off of a second. I can't think of a more positive reason for that to have happened. Does the seller say it's a Remington?

3. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    I don't think Remington would have done such a hackjob, but who knows ?
    It looks like it was done with a Dremel or comparable, even the back of the blade shows grind marks (just in front of the guard, enlarge the last picture)
    The seller doesn't state the Remington brand or a model number.

4. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Looks like an RH36. What's the blade length and overall length?

5. Nsewell

Nsewell

Mar 26, 2017
    I have a Remington “second” with the name ground off/into with what looks like a dremal cutoff wheel.

6. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    I only know the overall length, which is 34 cm (13.39 inches)

7. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    RH36 OAL = 10 3/4 inches
    RH38 OAL = 12 1/2 inches
    RH40 OAL = 14 1/2 inches (Remington's largest fixed blade)

The knife in your original post has a blade that looks like the RH36, i.e. blade grind, swedge, flats, fuller. Neither the RH38 or RH40 blades look similar to a RH36. I don't know what to make of the OAL you were given unless the measurement was not accurate.

You might also want to post this over in Bernard Levine's subforum. There's some expertise there that might be helpful.

8. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    According to my "Remington knives past and present" book; The Rh36, Rh38, and Rh40 all had leather handles. That knife has stag. None of the stag handled models have the spacers between the aluminum pommel, and the stag or between the guard and the stag. The knife in your pictures does. The longest Remington stag handled knife is the RH290, with a 5 inch blade and nine inches over all. I'm not a Remington knives expert. All I can say is it doesn't match what my book lists for the RH38, or for that matter any other Remington fixed blade shown in the book.

O.B.

9. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    A good reason to grind off a tang stamp is if you're trying to say something is what it ain't. Just my $.02.--KV

brownshoe and MerryMadMonk like this.
  10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    could it possibly be one of the common generic " Original Bowie " knives imported from Solingen from the 50's-70's ?

11. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I like that idea quite a bit. I have a Remington H-38 and it does not resemble this knife.

12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It looks extremely close to the examples I've seen in a quick Google search , the only real difference being the state vs stacked leather.
    Could still actually be a solingin made copy though I guess

13. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Here is a H-38. Notice the factory file work on the spine. Ritchie001.jpg RH38 Remington001 (Large).jpg RH38 Remington002 (Large).jpg

14. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    P(ontus) Holmberg knives from Sweden has handles that look a lot like the one in your photo. John

15. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Hear! Hear!