Remington blade design?

I was looking at the various styles of the blade on Remington folding knives. Why are there so many variations???

What is the Sheep's Foot used for--it is an interesting straight blade design, but I don't see a specific purpose. Similarly I couldn't figure out the real difference between the various Spey and Sabre blades. Were they designed for something specific? The Sabre's have a sharpened bevel on the topside. Fishing blades are obvious--they are as wide as a fish and narrow--that one was easy.

The Cotton Sampler's blade was rather neat, but is if functional?... or just a general purpose wide blade that fits into a fat-handled knife knife?
The physician's knife is long and thing like a narrow Sabre... but why? Would a physican really find this useful?

So who thought of these blade design's--and were they really functional, or are they just blades made to fit the various styles of handles with no thought as to a specific purpose???

I have been around knives all my life. Until about 2 or 3 years ago ,to me, a knife was just a knife. I never thought about patterns or blade designs or steel material all that much. I was unblissfully ignorant. Then I started thinking about similar things as you. Finding this forum has decreased my ignorance somewhat. It has also decreased my checking account too, but at least now I won't waste funds on a really bad product. Read the thread on stainless steel. Very informative.

Sheep's Foot

The objective is to provide an edge that can be used for cutting, while minimizing the chances that the point will accidentally pierce anything delicate. They make excellent whittlers and scoring tools.

Drop Point

The point is for great controllability, while retaining strength. The drop point patterns also retain plenty of belly. Controllability of the point assists in preventing it from nicking an organ, one reason that this style is popular with hunters.

Hook Blade

This type of blade was traditionally used for gardening, but has gained popularity for utility use (i.e., shallow slicing)

Sabre Grind

Has a strong edge format for chopping and hard use. This is the reason that the bevel starts around the middle of the blade, and proceeds flatly towards the edge. Unfortunately, this causes the edge will be thick, which doesn’t make for a great slicer.

Spey Blade

Was designed to castrate livestock.

Cotton Sampler Blade

I’ve been told that the original shape was used for large kitchen knives. Due to it cutting abilities it was downsized and placed on pocket knives.

There are hundreds of blade shapes, with each being dictated by the job they are designed to perform. I'd love to see someone put together a nice book of the many types and some history behind them.

Who designed ? *shrugs shoulders

I read one time that the sheepfoot blade was designed with the sharp "corner" to cut the rot out of sheep's hooves....have no idea if this is really true. It is a great general utility blade.

The "pen" blade got its name from the fact that early single blade knives with a simple tiny spear point blade were used for sharpening quill pens.

The "Cotton Sampler" blade was actually used to cut a sample out of a bale of cotton for inspection of the quality of the cotton in the bale.

knifeaholic said:
I read one time that the sheepfoot blade was designed with the sharp "corner" to cut the rot out of sheep's hooves....

I've heard that too.

I've also heard that the shape of the blade is similar to a sheep's foot (see the file attached - area in red).

This kinda stuff intrigues the helll outta me ! :D

Back