1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We will be conducting maintenance tonight to update server processes. Downtime may be 1-2 hours or more, starting at 10:15PM Eastern.

Remove Decarb Layer?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Whiteshield, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Whiteshield

Whiteshield

Feb 25, 2016
    When stripping your Busse knives what do you do to remove the decarb layer? Regular sandpaper?

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Lots of talk about "decarb" layer, but I think it is a misused term. Of the ones I stripped, I did nothing much to the grayish finish under the coating. Just left it there. Except a SS I heavily modified by changing into a straight edge. That just used a bit of wet sandpaper. 400 grit???

The grey stuff is not really decarb. If you ever see real decarb in the Wild, you will know it. It is super rust aggressive. The early competition finishes that had true decarb left on them rusted very very easy ( but still not deeper than that outer layer). The grey finish underneath all the coating I've seen stripped, is not prone to rust in my experience.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  3. Whiteshield

Whiteshield

Feb 25, 2016
    Anybody else who stripped their knives? Can you confirm what Bigfattyt said?

4. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Yes, I have stripped a few. The finish underneath is like a bead blasted finish. Obviously done to remove any decarb that may have been there, and to help the paint to adhere to the steel. Never had any problems with rust, and I put em away dirty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Whiteshield

Whiteshield

Feb 25, 2016
    Thank you for the replies. I thought that every coated blade had decarb underneath. Obviously I was wrong. Sorry for the troubles.

6. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I have stripped many. Whatever the grey base layer really is, I use a Scotchbright wheel to grind/buff it off. Leaves a decent ghetto satin.

7. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    No troubles at all mate. You won't know if you don't ask :)

8. jd4320t

jd4320t Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I've had what I thought was decarb and I've had some serious decarb that started rusting quickly. In the last a ScotchBrite wheel usually did the trick but with some of these later knives I haven't been so lucky.

9. Whiteshield

Whiteshield

Feb 25, 2016
    The item in question is a Busse Gladius. Do you think it will have decarb underneath its coating?

10. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I don't know if it's scale, decarb, or patina from a whiskey bath, but I wet sand it off with various grits of sandpaper and a scotchbrite wheel.

11. Whiteshield

Whiteshield

Feb 25, 2016
    bump

12. bullpin

bullpin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Strip it and find out. Maybe you’ll get lucky. If it does you should get rid of it. Any that I have stripped and not removed have quickly surface rusted . Sometimes scotchbrite isn’t enough. You need a belt. Good luck. Post pics

13. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I don't like the dull gray color, and always sand it off:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jake1911 and TheirProtector618 like this.
  14. bullpin

bullpin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Let’s see pics of this gladius that has the coating issues.

15. Darkjedi2

Darkjedi2 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2001
    I use those little Japanese metal erasers.

16. NJBillK

NJBillK Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2014
    On anything other than a corrugated blade, I would use a Scotch-Brite Belt on a belt sander.
    20160823_181646_zps5s6figfv.jpg

ipal likes this.
  17. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    I leave the grey undercoating on...its the poor mans DCBB...

18. BFS

BFS Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2004
    I spent days with the Dremel and wet sandpaper to get this one where I wanted it.

IMG_1570.JPG

ipal and TheirProtector618 like this.
  19. u812

u812 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 15, 2002
    I think the easiest way would be a blasting cabinet. Thinking about getting one soon.

20. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    First blade I stripped was a TGLB. I bead blasted it to get rid of the "decarb", "dull gray", whatever, layer. The surfaces I could blast never rust. The spots I couldn't blast very well (inside the talon holes) did rust. A lot. Bright orange, Cheeto looking rust. I would remove it.