Removing anodizing on thumbstud/spacer?

The anodizing on the thumbstuds of both my large and small Sebenzas is wearing off. I never thought the anodizing went that well with the overall rugged look of the knives. I have a couple of questions:

Could the anodizing be removed by polishing with something like Happich Polishing Paste (available from AG Russell)? Has anyone else done this? If so, how did you get into those tiny grooves in the thumbstud? I noticed on another post that ANY modifications would void the warranty. I am NOT willing to void the warranty on my knives.

CRK: Would polishing off the anodizing void the warranty?

I know this is a repeated question, sorry, but how much for the double thumb stud, a replacement set of polished screws, and a replacement set of plain (not anodized) thumbstud/spacer. Thanks much. Leo G

------------------
"When we sacrifice liberty for security, we get neither". Benjamin Franklin

dual thumblug - $30
sinlge thumblug - $20
screws - $1 ea
spacer $7 ea (need three for the knife)

This is what think the most up to date prices are, but someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

~Mitch

[This message has been edited by UW Mitch (edited 04-05-2000).]

You might be right on the price of the spacer, but you only need one per knife.
1 spacer,
1 blade stop,
1 pivot.
OK they are all also spacers, but he is only inquiring about the one true spacer.
I have also wondered about the answers to his other questions, ie how to do it and will these minor modifications void warranty?

[This message has been edited by ThomM (edited 04-06-2000).]

I once inquired at CRK regarding warranty survival with the handles being engraved by someone other than CRK. I was told that as long as you don't modify parts of the knife that affect its action or profile (i.e. reshaping handles, regrinding blade, etc) that it is OK. So I would say that it will not affect the warranty to polish the spacer/thumbstud. But this is just me and I have no affiliation with CRK for the record.

Leo G:

No...removing the anodizing from the thumb lug will not void the warranty. However, it is questionable where the polish you are referring to will actually do the job. The way we remove coloring is with fine grit sandpaper. Be careful not to score the blade. Your other option would be to send it back and have us replace the annodized lug with a plain lug. Your cost would be $10 and we will throw in a free sharpening!!
Thanks,
Mark

Thanks everyone for the info. Mark, I may be sending the Sebenzas out soon for plain double lugs and plain spacers. Much appreciated. Leo Gilbert

------------------
"When we sacrifice liberty for security, we get neither". Benjamin Franklin

Back