Removing "E" handles, cleaning???

SALTY

Gold Member
How does one (should one) remove the handle slabs of an "E" so that dirt, crud, salt, etc. can be cleared?

How durable is the micarta?

I would just take a stiff bristle brush to whatever is stuck on or around the slabs.

I doubt if you can get them off,they are built like a:

sherman.gif

Hey guys..

I Believe a Blue Tip Key will remove them effectively..

ttyle

Eric...

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

Ryu is on the money. You would either have to grind them off or drill them off in which case you would more than likely have to send them back in order to have them reattached. There shouldn't be any problems with debris getting under them and causing trouble. Cleaning around them as suggested by Rdnzl would be the most effective technique.

Yours in nuclear handles,

Jerry Busse

[This message has been edited by Jerry Busse (edited 02-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jerry Busse (edited 02-14-2001).]

Actually, if you are very careful you can pop them off with the blade of an SAK classic. Just work around the edges a little bit and "boing" off they go. Then clean it up real good and use a little Elmers glue to put 'em back on (the white stuff). I forgot to mention you have to drive out the tubes first with a hammer and punch. Then I just replace them with 5/16" SAE bolts. Works like a charm.
wink.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Hoodoo, sorry , didn't mean to forget about you. Your way sounds like, well ... work. But if all of the foregoing doesn't carry the day, I remember your method.

Nim,
Your initial instincts are good, but just in case you should ever get the urge to go reaching for your hammer and punch, please note the winking smiley face at the end of Hoodoo's post.
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Bill, Hoodoo has much knowledge but, like so manny around here, you have to have salt at the ready. I ain't takin' nuthin apart, lessen of course I send 'er back to Mr. Busse.

Just so nobody gets carried away here, I was just a funnin'.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Back