Recommendation? Removing epoxy from in front of bolster

in the future, wipe that area after glue-up with a q tip, moist (not dripping) with rubbing alcohol once an hour for 3 hours. it likes to sneak out. usually you go back the third time and none has come out.
Yeah ... I think this is really the best answer. In this case I gave it about 20 minutes. Not enough . As you said, check for 2-3 hours and you will likely be ok. Lesson learned!

Blue tape the ricasso will help mitigate the epoxy clean up. Do as John says, but remove the blue tape and there will be much less clean up overall

in the future, wipe that area after glue-up with a q tip, moist (not dripping) with rubbing alcohol once an hour for 3 hours. it likes to sneak out. usually you go back the third time and none has come out.

I've gone to checking and doing the Q tip thing every 15 minutes. Usually after the third check no more.

I wonder if epoxy can flow upwards ?

Yep! I've had it happen to me...
I don't know if it's actual "flow" or pressurized movement, but I have had epoxy come up from between blade and bolster, while it was resting vertically.

Yep! I've had it happen to me...
I don't know if it's actual "flow" or pressurized movement, but I have had epoxy come up from between blade and bolster, while it was resting vertically.
So , how far it climb on blade :)

Water travels up trees using this capillary mechanism. Exactly how high it can go depends on the exact surface chemistry involved

Here in Macedonia we must have some stronger Gravity then rest of world... :eek: because I never seen epoxy climbing on ricasso when i left knife vertically :(

After gluing, I normally wipe the excess then clean with a qtip soaked in methanol or acetone.

I had to clean a tiny amount of cured epoxy yesterday. Used a sewing needle to get in the corners, worked perfectly.

It didn't climb very high on mine, just a little along the junction.

So , how far it can climb on blade ?
Like AVigil and Cushing H. said, it depends. Viscosity, surface chemistry and composition, if it's enclosed, size of enclosure, etc. Low viscosity in a very small enclosed tube can migrate meters. High viscosity on a flat surface would migrate very little.

If you want to see a cool example of capillary (really surface tension) effects causing liquid to rise above a surface of the liquid .... get a good clean wine glass, pour into it a good wine (higher alcohol content the better) .... and after a short while you will see the wine climbing the side of the glass to a height of 1 - 1.5 inches. Look closer, and you will actually see that liquid actively climbs up, then falls back down in little streamers. you probably have seen this before .... but surface tension effects are what cause this.

As SS369 says wax the front of the scales and the ricasso during temporary assembly then glue everything together. Best to use proper mold release wax, it works way better than any other wax I have tried.

Leave until the epoxy is fully cured and a tap with piece of aluminium, brass or hard wood or plastic and off it pops.

No mess and no going back every half hour.

Back