Removing logo from knife blade

stevekolt

Gold Member
Is there a way to do this without damaging/scratching the blade? I think I would like to remove the Boone and Crockett logo from these if I could do so safely...
HTGry6V.jpg

upiU4Ri.jpg

If it's just printed/painted on the blade, perhaps acetone might work. But if it's etched into the blade it would take a lot of sanding, and removing a significant amount of steel to completely remove it.

Maybe some flitz, or a similar polishing compound. I just used some to remove the arabesque etching on a new Douk Douk. It didn't take it off all the way, but it isn't nearly as dark as it was, use will take care of the rest.

Seems like most marks like this on production knives made in the last 30 years or more are etched onto the blade - usually with chemicals, or sometimes with lasers. Some etches are very shallow and can be gradually lightened over time with polishing, as with the suggested Flitz paste or a similar product. Deeper etches will be harder to remove though, without some form of sanding or grinding of the finish. Without doing some sanding, a faint outline of the etch would likely still remain, even if the darkness of the etch is removed.

If they were mine, I'd just go with a polishing paste, used over time to lighten the etch.

....or just leave it.

It's been my experience that the finished result is less appealing than the etch and the only thing that made me happy was an expensive regrind.

Another thought...

If the knives are to be users for daily or frequent carry, then sanding might be an option later on, after the blades accumulate the inevitable scuffs or scratches or sharpening marks. Satin-finish blades are pretty easy to 'clean up' of scuffs & such, using something like 220-grit wet/dry sandpaper. So, if the day comes when you'd like to clean up the usage wear on the blade, that'd be the time to go after the unwanted etch as well.

On the other hand, if these are to be display/curio/safe queen items, I'd just leave them be. Any alteration to the blade, it's marks or finish will immediately damage whatever value they'd hold to a collector, if the knives are eventually sold as collectibles.

Some markings like this are made with CO2 lasers. These lasers will not cut steel, so a special paint is used. The laser melts the paint onto the blade.
If the marking is raised above the surrounding surface, this is the method of marking. It can usually be scraped off with a piece of sharp brass.

If the marking is below the surface, the entire surface will have to be removed to the level of the marking.

Back