Removing Rust From Axes - Experiment+RESULTS

Ok so I am going to do a little experiment with trying to remove rust from axe heads. Up for comparison I have the following :

CLR
Lime Away
The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Coca Cola
Mustard
Vinegar

If anyone would like another substance added, let me know, I will start it tomorrow, 3/13/11. I will let each head sit in the substance for one week.

I will provide the before and after pics. I will post the original head pics tomorrow.

So if anyone wants anything added, let me know. I will also provide more specs tomorrow.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
I have found red wine vinegar to etch quite differently to white vinegar. Also apple cider vinigar seems more potent.

Best regards

Robin

In addition to the plain vinegar test, how about some vinegar with a little salt added?
(I've read somewhere how this can positively affect the reaction somehow.)

This might work faster than a week.

Thanks for working to increase our collective knowledge.

I happen to have red and white vinegar. I know I have white, I bought it. I think the wife has some apple. I will try all three, if I have enough old rusty heads. I think I do.

I happen to have red and white vinegar. I know I have white, I bought it. I think the wife has some apple. I will try all three, if I have enough old rusty heads. I think I do.

My guess is, you have quite a stash.:D Judging by what I have seen, you have a great collection.

Best regards

Robin

Word is on the street if you combine vinegar and salt you get hydrocholoric acid. So I am not sure what formula to use, as in how much salt per amount of vinegar. I dont want to ruin an axe head, but i will research and see what i can find.

Great idea for an experiment! I'm interested in how Coke does on the rust. Some sodas are more acidic than others, I think Dr Pepper is a point lower on the pH scale than regular coke and pepsi.

For the vinegar/salt solution, just add salt to the vinegar until no more salt can be dissolved. If you end up adding more salt than needed it is not a big deal, extra salt won't affect anything.

I look forward to the results!

Update -

I went ahead and started. 6 heads. Pics will show coresponding number. As far as who got what :

1 = Coca Cola
2 = Lime Away
3 = CLR
4 = White vinegar
5 = The Works (Toilet Bowl)
6 = Mustard

All 6 are in their own buckets now filled with said substance. Each one will get 7 days. I will turn each head daily in order to make sure complete surface coverage.

Some intial notes :

The Works - smells something awful. Gave me a headache. Twice the odor of CLR or Lime Away. It has worked well for me in the past in my old house that had hard well water stains. Worked really well actually. I actually had to put the buckets with The Works, CLR, and Lime Away outside due to the smell/headache factor.

White Vinegar - you could see it working on contact. I did not and will not add salt, I will save that for maybe the next round of experiments.

I have heard that if you leave a nail in Coke, it will eventually eat it away. We will see.

Notes on the heads themselves -

Rust factor is going to be a key - on a scale of 1 to 5 all heads ranked 4 except for number 6, the one that is getting the mustard. It perhaps would rank a 2, maybe 2.5.

Total expense so far -

The Works - 3.16
Lime Away - 5.97
Coca Cola - 1.89
Mustard - (Frenchs Yellow) - 4.78
White Vinegar - 3.59
CLR - $24
Five buckets at $2.54 each

If the vinegar works it would be the most cost effective due to the fact you can get a pretty good deal on a gallon or more at a time.

I will check back in mid-week for an update.

(I can only upload 5 at a time, 6 will be on the next reply)

Last edited:
Evapo Rust-You can buy it just about anywhere. Works in a couple of hours or less. If you have hot water it works even better.

A lot of the stuff you are trying will probably make it worse not better.

I just soaked an axe head in Muriatic Acid.
It ate through three aluminum pans in five minutes.

tough stuff.

Redid it in a five gallon bucket and we will see what happens.

Update -

So a couple days in - figured I would give anyone that is following an update -

Observation has -

1. Coca Cola - cant tell if too much is going on, though it the liquid does appear to have material in it, and have lighter and darker shades to it, if that is possible with coke.

2. The Works - appears to still be working, while Lime Away and CLR are dormant.

3. Vinegar is still bubbling away and appears to still have a reaction going.

4. Mustard has turned from yellow to brown, so Im not sure if that is good or bad.

I have been rotating and sloshing the solution around once a day. We will see what happens. I dont expect miracles or metallurgy breakthroughs, but having fun and see what happens. We will see.

The mustard turning brown is fine. Its sucking all the crap off the surface of the metal..

Back