• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Removing sap from saw blades

I usually use turpentine or kerosene. Works a charm for me. Methylated spirits is probably the best for really old dried sap though

I haven't tried Lava bar soap but it would be the first thing I'd try. I always keep it for cleaning any kind of oily or greasy mess off my hands so it ought to work. I used to work in a newspaper pressroom and we would get printing ink on our hands constantly. We used Gojo or Lava and it did the job.

I don't know why more women don't automatically have a bar of Lava at the kitchen sink. How else do you clean stuff like chicken fat/grease off your hands?

I use gasoline sparingly just enough for the job, straight or mixed which ever is easier to reach for.

Soaked blade in 1/4 cup Goo Gone 2 min. Scraped EZ with pocket knife and wiped Spic & Span clean! Voila!

Out of town I have burned it off with a lighter, then a wipe. In town rubbing alc.

Rubbing alcohol, brake fluid, acetone, they all probably will do a fine job one way or another, but as a friendly reminder, please remember to cover or be careful with the handle. Most of these cleaning solutions will damage/melt (the coating of) the handles.

Back