Removing the convex grind

Hello all! When I ordered my first Busse (a Basics #7) I was a little concerned about the convex edge. I had never owned one before and was a little timid about sharpening it. Eveyone assusered me that I'd only have to deal with the flat side so not to worry about it. Well I was talking to Andy a while ago and I decided that eventually I'd have to really sharpen my #7 and that would mean dealing with the convex edge. Now the #7 didn't need sharpening by any means, but I decided to go at it anyway as an experiment.

Before I had a go at it I took a piece of dried 1x6 birch and hacked it in half. I didn't count the strokes but just made note of about how long it took me. I then checked the edge for any visible deformaties. There were none. I then checked if it could shave, it did. Could it slice up fine paper? Yes.

That done, I went to sharpening. I used an EdgePro Apex to sharpen the flat side and a foam pad and sandpaper to sharpen the convex side. I started at a coarse grit and went to 3000. This was done on both sides (I wanted to simulate a real sharpening). When I was all done I was less than satisfied with the results. It would slice up fine paper no problem, but not shave. I tried steeling, checking for a burr, everything. I just couldn't get it to shave. The only thing that I can thing of is that I completely buggered the edge and created far too wide an angle or I produced a very fine burr that I couldn't get rid of without affecting the opposite edge. My suspicions are the former.

So I decided to take off the convewx grind and see how the knife performed then. I kept the angle on the convex side the same as the factory angle on the flat side 24 degrees. After removing the convex edge the knife would now shave again, so well I cut my arm and didn't notice it until I saw the small red line of blood. I went back to the birch and repeated the experiment. The results were the same as before except now I could see some very slight deflection in the edge. I went outside and found an old spuce I had felled a couple of weeks ago and stripped all the branches off. No problem. Then I decided to cut it into pieces (maximum diameter was about 2 1/2"). No problem, between 3-7 swipes to go through.

Back at the house I checked the edge. Still shaving sharp although I could feel a roughness. Still sliced up fine paper. I used a 320 grit stone with about 10 strokes per side and all the edge damage was gone.

My conclusion? The convex edge is a stronger edge which resists damage better than a V-grind. However, the Busse with a V=grind is still an excellent knife with marginal performance differences over the SHORT PERIOD testing I did. This is NOT a condemnation of the convex grind, only to say that if you've hesitated about buying a Busse because of that weird grind or you do reach a point when you REALLY have to remove some metal and IF you screw it up (that would be me) or decide you don't want to muck with it, you can put a standard grind on the edge and still have one hell of a knife. If you think about it this is a true testiment to Busse and M-INFI/INFI; even when the knife isn't in it's designed edge configeration it still performs.

I should add that I have a #5 which I am leaving with the convex grind. I will sharpen that one ONLY AS IT NEEDS and see how things go. If I decide to change/bugger up that edge, I'll let you know. I hope this little experiment of mine was helpful.

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

Johan...

This is an EXCELLENT case study. Thanks for your contribution. I believe Cliff Stamp had similar results in his personal tests on convex vs. flat edges.

I'm sure he can also explain his experiences in removing and re-applying an asymmetrical edge to a Busse knife.

Thanks again...

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

Jonathan, nice work. Concerning the problem with getting a shaving sharp edge on the dual grind, it is quite probably a burr problem. If you decide to put it back on, after you finish the grinding on the hone and sandpaper, try using a loaded strop. The strop will indent and fit the bevel without exerting significant pressure on the edge and thus will not create a burr.

As for convex bevels in general, they are far stronger and cut smoother than v-ground edges. The only advantages of the v-grinds are that they are easier to maintain (depends on the user) and they require less force to make the initial cut (which is only relevant if the cut depth is not greater than the bevel).

As you noted, the dual grind however is not the only reasons the Busse Combat blades are strong performers, if you take a Trailmaster and put a dual edge on it you don't get a Battle Mistress.

-Cliff

Andy-I'm glad you liked it, I try my best
wink.gif

Cliff-I did use a strop on the edge and still couldn't get it shaving sharp. I really don't know what happened. As I've said privately to Andy, I'm of two minds about convex edges. I clearly see the advantages (strength, ease of cutting, sharpness) but I have a difficult time sharpening the convex edge. I'm still playing around with V and convex grinds trying to make my mind up.

------------------
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

Jonathan, could you push it through paper, no slicing motion? You can usually slice paper with an edge that is far more out of shape that one that can push cut as the edge will just tear the paper on a scale too small for you to see.

By the way, you need to alternate the sharpening. Do the flat side on the x-coarse stone on the Apex then do the convex bevel on the coarse sandpaper and move up. If you do one side completely and then do the other you will badly burr the edge. This should be visible under a microscope at low magnification say about 10X.

The only two other things I can see is that you could be getting some kind of inteference from the different grits or you never actually reached the edge when sharpening. A loaded strop should remove the first problem but not the last one.

-Cliff

Cliff...you ever see the strops made by Jerry in the early days??? They're adjustable tension strops and they work great.

Also...the strops made by www.handamerican.com are gorgeous. I have the big bench one made from exotic wood and the best hide available. He also sent me 8 levels of compound.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC

Authorized Dealers:

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Cliff-I don't think I tried to push cut paper the first time so I really couldn't say. I didn't alternate while sharpening but I did swipe off the burr on the convex side as I worked the flat. In future I will alternate. As for the edges meeting I made sure that they did, I suspect that I had a good angle on the flat side, and then created a flat edge at the tip of the convex edge. If that were the case I would have both edges meeting, but the angle would be all wrong.

------------------
John Milton

Andy, thanks for the link, I'll check that out. You wouldn't happen to have an extra one of the Busse strops for sale would you? I'd like to see that, the tension adjustement sounds interesting.

About the convex edge, I think I'll reapply mine to the #7 this weekend if I get some sandpaper and see how it turns out. It already has a really nice satin finish on the blade that my brother put on it.

-Cliff

Jerry and I have talked about re-introducing the leather strops for sale...the main difficulties being time and labor. For Jerry, the knives come first.

I suspect that as he is able to, he will explore a way to make them available again.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC

Authorized Dealers:

Back