Renewable energy powered shop

JAGcustomknives

Specializing in The Buck 110
I am in the process of designing a 12 volt LED lighting system in my shop.
I still need a solar panel and a small windmill and inverter but I will have those in the near future I'm sure.
I'm excited to have a knife done using power from the wind and sun.
The lights I am using are Grote 63611 LED flood. They are incredibly bright and draw only 1.4 A @ 14 volts!

Last edited:
Looks like I am going to need at least 8 of these lights, I though 2 or 4 at most but.... time to start saving

I have about this! I would be cool to have a shop completely off the grid, but I run stuff with 220 volts so not too sure how that would work. Keep us posted how this works out!

Yeah I've not seen a 220 inverter before.
It seems I will need at least 8 of these lights which is more than I thought, as they are pricy. (but very efficient )
That would be only a 50 watt draw and should light
It up well. Soon enough

The technology doesnt seem to be quite there yet.That or Exxon Mobil is not sharing.( :

LOL Don you aren't the only one onto them!
I've since learned much since the OP. Most of this Technology is in China, and it is available in many voltages. I am using 110 volt on all my tools except my compressor, so I will opt for a 110 v Inverter (or two one modified sine wave for lighting and one pure sine wave for equipment)
If I had the funds, 12 LED is most efficient.
I am planning on using 4 95 watt solar panels costing about $1200 and putting out nearly 30 amps of charge!
The inverters are still not chosen but should cost around 800$
Batteries are slightly used deep cycle giving me about 900 AH, should allow me to work for 2-3 hours on Solar power a day if all my math is correct. I also have a 12v ventilation fan and a 12v powered sink. I suspect I will try using a 12v bilage pump to water our lawn from a rain barrel.
I will likely wire my compressor to run off my generator should 2012 get ugly and knife sales go up ;)
More Later!!!

Last edited:
I`m planning on having this all operational by the end of June.

I am nearly set up with Lighting, Batteries and an Inverter for my tools. Here's some pictures.

Sealed and soon to be vented Battery Box for use indoors :
d3f452b8.jpg

A GMC Safari Van Idler arm acts as a pivot to pivot my LED's over each station. (wiring not complete)
ee8f0777.jpg

4ee35c71.jpg

Back