repair needed on #1

I have a Randall #1 with stag handle, with the red & white spacer between the handle and guard.
Somehow, the point has been broken off. I think one of my nephews messed with it when I left my web gear hanging after a camp trip. I think they threw it because there is no bend at all at the break.
ANY how,
My question is: Is there any way to regrind the point, or send it to Randall to have it done without hurting the value?
Thanks,
Celt

Celt

The value has already been compromised, fixing the blade will not have an adverse effect on that. Randall can and does very good repair work IMO.

Live Well
Ken

Celt, yeah, what Ken said...lol Truthfully, I've had RMK rework two damaged knives, they do outstanding work, highly recommended.

Ken, agreed, but didn't you leave out the "H"...as in IM"H"O? :p

Say, are you gonna make it to BladeWest again this year Ken? I'll be going with my better half, and I'd like to introduce you two.

(No, I'm not interested in trades, I think I'll keep her...) ;)

On a model 1 it should be fairly easy to grind the blade down to the next inch size, say if it was a 7 in. it could be a 6 in. with no problem. Barring any unforeseen problems the knife could be returned to like new condition. To complete the transformation you might have the handle trimmed down 1/8 in. for every 1 in. loss in blade length, to retain the balance. This could only be done on leather handles and handles without a buttcap like stag or micarta. Finally, you might consider a new sheath to give you a totally "new" knife.

The quality of Randall repairs is excellent, I know because I perform many of them. There is an old story that a well known outdoor writer sent his old, well used Randall in for refinishing. When he got it back he called the shop and accused us of substituting a new knife for his much older "collectable" knife because the knife looked brand new, not like it was made in the "old days".

If you have any questions about cost, shipping etc. just give us a call at 407-855-8075 M-Th 7am-5pm, Fr 7am-1pm

hope this helps

Back