Repair Stuff

I can't believe anyone hasn't opened a discussion on repair supplies as part of a survival kit. Well, here goes. According to my way of thinking, if you can't take care of your equipment and whatever is on your back the battle is half over. My personal survival kit contains a significant amount of repair gear. Even my tiny survival tin contains repair gear (sewing kit with magnetized needles, safety pins, piece of 100 mph tape, 30# spectra cord, brass and stainless steel wire). How do the rest of you deal with this?

Shoe goo!! You can fix just about anything with 10o MPH tape and shoe goo. I also carry a spool of nylon decoy cord.

Needle, strong thread, Duct tape wrapped around a water bottle, flexible wire, leatherman tool.

Our Mini Kit contains an Eze Awl needle, Tape and thread. You can use if for everything from skin repair to gear fixin'

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

My bugout bag includes an Outdoors Research "repair bag". I forget the model name, but it includes the basic items (duct tape, glues, nylon repair materials, repair stuff for inflatable mattresses, clamps, and all kinds of other stuff. I've added a few items to it.. nails, more glue, more screws, etc.

For long term survival, I agree.... I think you need something like this.

I've had this kit called a "Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit" in my main survival pack for many years. I'm not sure if they are still available, but this thing is great. It's a small leather pouch filled with all sorts of heavy duty sewing related gear. Doc Ron mentioned an "Eze Awl", well this kit has a small chuck and a large cotter pin, and when used with a sewing machine needle works much the same way with a lot less bulk.

I carry many repair articles, here is a list:
1)small sewing kits-made from a match book, with small cardboard pieces stapled in, these are wrapped with thread, needles and safety pins.
2)a pair of leather stitching needles with waxed thread.
3)small tube of super glue!
4)hot melt glue-small sticks. sometimes a piece of ferr-l-tite.
5)duct tape-sometimes silver tape.

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

Back