Repair Tips for mid size stockman

Got a mid size Old Timer stockman and was really blown away by how well the little guy can cut. Unfortunately after about six months of use the clip blade has become loose, really loose. Can anyone give me a tip on how to fix this myself or am I gonna hve to send it back to Schrade. I know that they have a rock-solid warranty but we're only talking about a twenty dollar knife here.

I've had a similar problem on one or two knives, although not on my one Old Timer folder, the large Trapper.

To deal with the problem of a blade that's loose at the pivot, on a knife with a press-fit pivot pin as opposed to a rivet, I lightly tap the bolsters together. This should tighten up the fit. Take a hammer and lightly tap on the bolsters around the pivot pin and see what happens. I've done this on a few knives and it worked for me fairly well. Just don't tap the bolsters with too much force, because then there's the danger of tightening things up too much, in which case the blade will be hard to open and close. If the blade ends up too tight, open and close the blade repeatedly to loosen it up. There's no guarantee that this will work for you, but it might, and that's all I can think of. And like you said, it's only a $20 knife. By the way, is that $20 US or Canadian. I've been thinking of buying the mid-size OT stockman and $20 Canadian sounds pretty good. At Walmart it's CAN$27.

Also, try posting your problem on the general Blade Discussion Forum. You'll probably get more answers there.

No need to go messing up the bolsters.
If you have a vice, put the loose joint between two pieces of scrap wood in the vice and tighten.
If not, use the hammer but still with the scrap wood. And give it one sharp blow.
This has served me well in the past.
Good luck.
john

Schrade pocket knives, if I am not mistaken, use a type of construction known as "Swinden Rivets", where the bolsters are hollow, and the blade pins are steel and are cold-headed by machine befroe the knife is assembled. If this is true, then hammering or squeezing the bolsters will have no effect. Maybe Tim F can clear this up.

Used hammer. Killed knife. hmmmm...I guess I'll just have to shopping this weekend.

I had that problem also. I received a brand new 834UH and the clip blade was loose right out of the box. I contacted Schrade and sent the knife off for warranty inspection. Take about 6 weeks as they state on reply card.
But I also have onder Schrades and such, (I like buying the older cheaper stuff with a lot of service left in them) and tightened the blades up usuing a wood vise. Only problem here is the rivet or pin protrudes from the bolster a bit. A small file and a buffing wheel and you are back in business. Or you can do like I do, go out and find another knife.

Hope this helps,

rgb52
garboy1@aol.com

Sorry, that this may come to you a little too late, but my recommendation would have been that you send it back here for repair. As you know, by attempting to fix the knife yourself, unfortunately, you invalidate the warranty on the knife. It may take the full six weeks for us to get the knife back to you, but we stand by our life time warranty.

I recently bought a Gunstock Trapper with a blade so tight I barely open it. I considered sending it back but decided to live with it. Great knife otherwise.

I have to commend Schrade on their warranty, when I had my Pocket Beast repaired they even went to the trouble of sending me duplicates of the work order. I assume this was to help me out if Canada Customs wanted me to pay duty on my own knife. It's always a pleasure to deal with an honourable organization.

Back