"Reparations for Slavery?"

Bill Marsh said:
More than ever, I am proud of you Cantina people.

A beautifully civil discussion on what could be a "Hot Topic."

I grew up in the 1950's and 1960's (some people say that I never 'grew up' just got older), but during this period of time I saw great changes. Some good and some bad.

During the 1950s we had a black housekeeper, Zebell was her name. I have no idea what Dad paid her. She was happy and very holy. She taught me more about the Bible than I ever learned in Sunday school.

She told me about how her husband, L.J., had come courting her in a buckboard wagon. She had a huge family and lived in a shack. But I have never known anyone with a happier life and disposition. Actually ALL of her family were like that.

Everyone worked, nobody complained and they had very good family values. In short, they were very much like our family.

Happy.

Then came the 1960s. At the time I did not like Martin Luther King and I also did not like JFK. Since then I have come to see some real good in their work.

However, ZeBell did not like them. One of the few times I saw her being serious. She felt that the 'order' was being upset by 'greedy politicians' who had 'their own good' ahead of 'what was right.'

That kids 'whose brains were still too smooth,' (had not yet gotten the walnut folds of an adult brain), were being 'confused.' Being told that they deserved better (they did), but 'did not know how to act.'

She understood that short term gain for the 'politicians' was going to hurt people in the longer run. I agree.

I saw division and unhappiness become the order of the day, for both black and white. I saw, on our TV, the frightened kids being forced into white schools, 'protected' by not only police, but also the National Guard.

At the time, I never understood the ruckus. Why did the black kids have to go to 'white' schools? It seemed that the black kids were actually being forced to attend.

Why did they not go to the same schools as us white kids anyway? Why was there this separation? Made no sense to me. I got along fine with ZeBell's kids. We went fishing together, we played together. Some of them I liked better than others, but it was never predicated on them being black.

I had a good education. I believe in education. I believe in one-ness of the human race and I believe that a lot on understanding can be gained by education.

In the 1960s I began to see division, frustration, anger and unhappiness. As black children began to learn in white schools, I saw the frustrated parents (who had been promised better lives by the politicians) actually undo their children’s education. Calling them “Uncle Toms” and “losing their roots” by buying into a ‘white education.’

This forced integration was accompanied by Sartre’s existentialism which seemed to say that people have rights solely because they exist. Well, they do and they don’t.

I don’t see that anyone, who CAN work, has the right to be supported because of their skin color and past injustices that occurred generations ago.

I see rights and responsibilities going hand in hand.

Yeah, injustices DID happen. Yeah, it WAS wrong. Yeah, things could be better, but my frustration is that people CAN do better.

That tells me everything I need to know right there.

Has any black person actually posted their opinion in this thread?

45-70 said:
Back off Buster.

You can't horn in on my territory.
Most esteemed 45-70.....at 6'5" and 365 pounds, with both knuckles most assuredly draggin' the ground, I AM the quintessential Neanderthal here. While I don't doubt for a second your parentage, I would respectfully suggest that you are full of condensed apple pie. I would further suggest that among the amazing assemblage here gathered, there is certainly room for two (or perhaps more) of us drooling Neanderthals. Any time you happen to be in the Indy-noplace area, my door is always open and the coffee pot on for further discussion. :D

I don't care what 45/70 says....and yes, I know he's solid as steel; more, in fact. I've spoken to him and can assert per my intuition regarding the heart. 45/70 is a very polite and accomplished man. He seeks meaning in a world which throws nonsense down as readily as spirit gold. If he says he is a neandertal, he is, but he is also remarkably coherent.

<<< at 6'5" and 365 pounds, with both knuckles most assuredly draggin' the ground, I AM the quintessential Neanderthal here.>>>>>>>> JN

I'll have to go with Jurassic on this. IF anyone can dispute these specs I'd like to know how? Taken with his street toughened heart and soul, JN has a heart of goodness that's seen corruption without becoming corrupt.

I say these things because they are true. I get to. It said so in the mod contract- the fine print, something about the God Clause and life being cheap out on the Brazos River.....
EDIT almost forgot- no discussion of Neanderthal is complete without NASTY being thrown into the mix. How God and he appraise all applicant's submissions to Neanderthral Zombie Killers Squad is their business as they are pros.
munk

God is in Show Business. He is the original YES MAN, the first from which All sprung couragious. He says; "Let's do this anyway, even though the Sun will eventually burn out and make moot. Let's do it for the Hell of it." (God Laughs every chance he gets to say, "Hell".) God is the voice of can-do. God is kindness where none is mapped. God is being lonely and acting rightiously. God is trying. God is walking. God is easy, not hard. God is solid, not slippery. God is least suspected and a delight when encountered, as if He's always been. (the Great Heart that touches our lives and thoughts) A peace of home in every bite. A phrase that gives back yourself.

I see the workings of the Heavenly Father all around us. I cannot make heads nor tails of the arrangements or directions, but only catch glimpses of the Light. He brings us back our home if only we try to walk a little further.

munk

Your friend, munk: a deluded mystic who calls them like he see's them and brings them here for your edification or not. This is a new sociological event and we are each part of it. A new humanity is forming. The heart is growing and it waited for the internet.

"Captain, Captain, you sound quite mad".

Yes, but I'm a good mad

munk

God is least suspected and a delight when encountered, as if He's always been.

I see the workings of the Heavenly Father all around us. I cannot make heads nor tails of the arrangements or directions, but only catch glimpses of the Light

These particular sentences ring very true for me especially right now in my life.

A wise woman said a few days ago " the creator makes contact with us in ways that each of us can best understand" So we may both get the same message but on different channels (sorry for the TV metaphor).

Fools Crow (famous Sioux holy man) said almost exactly the same thing--minus the TV part.

jurassicnarc44 said:
Most esteemed 45-70.....at 6'5" and 365 pounds, with both knuckles most assuredly draggin' the ground, I AM the quintessential Neanderthal here. While I don't doubt for a second your parentage, I would respectfully suggest that you are full of condensed apple pie. I would further suggest that among the amazing assemblage here gathered, there is certainly room for two (or perhaps more) of us drooling Neanderthals. Any time you happen to be in the Indy-noplace area, my door is always open and the coffee pot on for further discussion. :D

Perhaps at 5 ft 6 inches you would be appropriate height for a neanderthal, although your weigh to height ratio is about right from my readings. We'll just call you a giant neanderthal for now.

As for the apple pie. Well perhaps the stuff that was used to fertilize the tree might be my stuffing.

As for the Coffee and coming to visit the next time I'm in Indy...

Well as long as the coffee is black.

Brother Munk, Amen and Amen.

thanks for the vote of ??? confidence? :D

45-70 Black or any other way you like.......now, back to my cave.

Back