1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Replacement Washers for Seb 31

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by yuxinwu123, Nov 23, 2020.

1. yuxinwu123

yuxinwu123

May 21, 2020
    So I fucked up and went and polished my Seb 31 washers a bit too much and now there's a smidge of side to side blade play if I put a good bit of force into it. It doesn't actually affect the usability of the knife in any way but my inner perfectionist is coming out. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could get a set of replacement washers or do I have to send my knife back in for a spa and new washers from the factory.

2. warmartyr

warmartyr Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Send it back and learn for the future! I'm not sure if this voids the warranty or not but hopefully it doesn't.

3. XL883N

XL883N

Apr 12, 2020
    CRK won't send washers. Look at their website for how to send your knife in for service. It's very simple.

I don't see what warranty has to do with anything. Warranty means they will replace or fix something for free if it's defective. They're not giving anyone free replacement washers that someone sanded. You're paying for them.

4. BD_01

BD_01

Jun 9, 2016
    Pro tip:

When you send your 31 in for replacement washers, ask them to fit a second set as a spare.

It saves a lot of self loathing if you ever pinch one in the future.

BTGuy, Llasi, russ25 and 2 others like this.
  5. jumpstat

jumpstat

Mar 9, 2007
    What was the reason that the washers were polished in the 1st place? Was it stiff action?

6. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Yeah. It's pretty dumb, but you have to send it in for washers. Ask them for an extra set.

They say that the reason is that they're hand fitted but they can easily sell standard washers on their webstore with the caveat that they may not fit well. Enough people with CRK knives know how to accurately measure the thickness and reduce the size of the washers as needed.

yuxinwu123 likes this.
  7. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    It would seem to OP is not one of them:)-so he would be best off sending it in.
    I am presuming that the 31 has to be sent in like the 21, but I don't know that for a fact(not owning one). Some models don't need to be sent in-so the 1st step may be to contact CRK(unless the info is already on their website).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    archieblue and yuxinwu123 like this.
  8. yuxinwu123

yuxinwu123

May 21, 2020
    I sent in a service form so I'll prob send it in this week. I've done this to two CRK previously with no issues but this time I just lost track of my progress so by the time I finish, I ended up doing the rough polishing twice before the final stropping. Just a stupid mistake on my part :(

Peter Hartwig likes this.
  9. yuxinwu123

yuxinwu123

May 21, 2020
    Good call! I'll definitely do that!

10. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    They do require it be sent in, unfortunately. I had to send in my 31 to get extra washers.

It’s easier to send in, but I’d rather not be parted from my knife for weeks on end. I would’ve liked the option of just buying the washers and polishing them on my own.

11. yuxinwu123

yuxinwu123

May 21, 2020
    Ya they quoted 4-8 weeks but I'd rather not part with my knife for that long. I'm also in Canada so there's always the off chance of my knife being seized at customs

12. russ25

russ25 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Not to hijack this thread but would anyone know what size\thickness the washers are before they start to polish for a final fitting?
    Just curious, :)