reprofiled my knife

I bought these knives from a wholesaler. The second from bottom had a poor edge, the angle's too steep. With my EdgePro clone and 180 grit stone it took me hours which I spread it over the week and got it. It's a 440C steel and that's a darn hard metal. I haven't got around to hone it with higher grit stones yet (I'm tired) but it's got a wicked edge.

Whew! Lots of fun. :p

I like the mk2 style one that you worked on, but the one above it looks like a giant fixed blade version of a crkt m16, and the others look like typical China junk ( they usually have no idea what people actually like in knife designs, and really just target teenagers with allowance money to spend )
overall mtech has really upped their game in the fixed blade department in the past 5yrs though :thumbup:

I like the mk2 style one that you worked on, but the one above it looks like a giant fixed blade version of a crkt m16, and the others look like typical China junk ( they usually have no idea what people actually like in knife designs, and really just target teenagers with allowance money to spend )
overall mtech has really upped their game in the fixed blade department in the past 5yrs though :thumbup:

And what you think of him or his knives has to due with our new friend's reprofiling job how? :confused: :thumbdn:

Be warned that often Chinese steel, like that on the cheaper SOGs, is very hard to sharpen and consequently it does somewhat hold an edge, but is not really tempered: Rap the spine on a good brick a few times and it might fly to pieces... This is definitely true for the cheapest SOG range, but I vaguely remember the MTechs were able to take some abuse, if not in that kind of brittleness testing... If sharpening is extremely hard on cheap stuff, that could be a warning sign of brittleness... Be wary of batoning...

Gaston

I guess I got a lot to learn. I have a SOG Flash II and it has an AUS-8 steel but wasn't hard to sharpen. I think I spent a total of 2-2.5 hours per side on this knife. I know they're Mtechs but I don't have much demands on knives. It's mostly carried and I don't see how I can't defend myself with it.

The one on top has a good blade. Hollow ground and stupid sharp out of the box.

And what you think of him or his knives has to due with our new friend's reprofiling job how? :confused: :thumbdn:

What comment were you reading :confused::confused:
I said nothing about him at all , I just mentioned how the knife he worked on looks much better than the others design wise, because Chinese knife companies usually just design knives that teenagers will buy. Then I said that mtech has stepped up quality in the fixed blade department recently.
He did a good job reprofiling that knife and I like it:thumbup:

Thanks guys. Wait til I get to the honing part. I probably can shave with it then. :D

If properly heat treated, 440C is some really good sometimes under rated steel. Wasn't too awful long ago it was the super steel flavor of the day.

I've read that 440C were THE steel for good knives back then but a new crop of steel engineering changed all that. Now we have lots of grades that the list is long.

I finally got around to finishing the job. I did the second bevel with the 800 and the 1500 grit stones.

Whew it is sharp. :cool:

Back