Reprofiling Infi edge

argyle1812

Gold Member
Sorry for a question thats probably been asked a million times. I would really like to profile my Infidu to 20 degrees per side for easy touch ups on my Spyderco Sharpmaker. Would it be worth getting diamond or CBN rods and doing it myself or better to have it sent off to a professional?

Chrisinzky

Gold Member
I've done some reprofiling on the sharpmaker using the cbn rods. It may take a really long time.

If you're not obsessed with perfection and you pay close attention to where you are removing material it should be fine. Sharpie is a good method of keeping track of where the edge is contacting the rods. You won't be removing material at a rate that you could really screw it up.

jakob.k

Gold Member
INFI is quite easy to sharpen but it will still take some time, depending on how much material you have to remove.

Different system but I took a DTBM down to 15 FPS on a Wicked Edge and it took quite a while. I enjoyed it tho. Did the majority of stock removal with 50 grit. However, if you are in a rush or pinched for time, might want to just have it done professionally.

I thought I was really getting somewhere until I used the Sharpie trick and realized I wasn’t even close to being there when I thought. A digital angle cube can help greatly with precision.

Actually, IMO... best practice if you must use sharp maker to sharpen is as follows. Reprofile the edge bevel angle to less degrees than the sharp maker's 20 DPS, then use the sharp maker to micro bevel the apex. With knives such as Busse with heavy edge bevel, grinding down the entire bevel with a sharp maker is painfully slow even after reprofiling to 20 DPS to match. My preference... using an oilstone or Waterstone to reset the edge bevel when resharpening and then only microbevel with the sharpmaker will be much quicker. I suspect this may be difficult concept to grasp potentially, somewhat advanced.

^^Agree. For some use it might too aggressive, but I pretty much always go down to at least 15° per side when I reprofile for easy touch ups on the 20° setting.

I'm too lazy to reprofile with the Sharpmaker though. It's either wet grinding with my HF 1X30" or a coarse stone on an angled sharpening block, (have blocks cut at 10,12.5, 15, & 20° that I can rest bench stones on).

Ive had to set an edge on all my users.

It's actually the sign that im probably going to keep a knife if I reprofile it, especially a longer, thicker knife like a busse.

But im an edge nerd and I hate hate hate not having an edge that reminds you not to touch it.

Last edited:
I have used strips of wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around the Sharpmaker stones and held with a binder clip to reprofile small blades. That was for my SIL's kitchen knives of various steels. Haven't tried it with Bussekin.