Reputable Damascus source?

A.McPherson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey folks,
The quarterly bowie challenge got me inspired to try my hand at one, so I'm gonna give it a go... I'm looking for a reputable source of Damascus.

The last bit I ordered was from jtknives, but they aren't selling any more.

Anyone have a good source?

Thanks!

This is tough now that Devin retired.
Several places carry damascus of one sort or another, but you might not find the style or size you need. Alpha has a thick, but small piece of Devin's ladder. Pop's has a few options, some are a little thin. Jantz carries some. Salem Straub makes great stuff, but it sells quickly and is pretty thin. I'm sitting on a couple pieces that will likely be chefs knives eventually. Blade Gallery has some as well as Damascus San Mai. It can look neat, but is almost too precise of layering for a Bowie. A lot depends on your vision for the project.
I'm doing one in San Mai right now and loving hand sanding the soft stainless cladding. One sheet of paper per grit!

Hey folks,
The quarterly bowie challenge got me inspired to try my hand at one, so I'm gonna give it a go... I'm looking for a reputable source of Damascus.

The last bit I ordered was from jtknives, but they aren't selling any more.

Anyone have a good source?

Thanks!
What size billet you looking for?

Besides the big names and fancy patterns, you can get a variety of sizes and patterns from Alabama Damascus. It is not Devin's billets, but it will make a fine knife. They have it from thin to thick. I see a honkin' .375"X2.5"X16.5" bar that would forge a huge Bowie. I am sure they could make up a billet any size you wanted.

Does Mike Norris still make Damascus? I used him for several custom pieces years back. These days I stick to damasteel.

yes. I saw Mike at Blade last year, bought a few pieces.

Also Chad Nichols and Vegas Forge.

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. I'll do a little shopping around.
I knew about Alabama Damascus, but I've heard mixed reviews of their stuff so I was kinda hesitant... It's good to have options.
Thanks again!

Back