Res-C Handle Mods?

Crag the Brewer

I make Nice, boring knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Are there any pictures here of people adding palm swells, or wrapping their SYKCO handles? I tried looking, but didn't see?

I have the new WS1020, it's Awesome, and has a good feel
I was lucky enough to find a 1311 that I bought.
I heard how Amazing, and comfortable they are, I Disagree.
It's very thin, and Bites into my hand.
I'm concerned about wanting a Regulator now, it might be small too? :/

Thanks.

I haven’t handled a Regulator (yet!), so I can’t speak for those. I did have a 1311 for a bit, though, and I’d have to agree that it’s quite a bit of steel for the size of the handle. I’ve seen a couple of options to add a bit of girth, one being grip tape, hockey maybe? Or you can cut a length of bicycle inner tube to fit over the grip. Neither is the most becoming option, but they may be worth a try.

I haven’t handled a Regulator (yet!), so I can’t speak for those. I did have a 1311 for a bit, though, and I’d have to agree that it’s quite a bit of steel for the size of the handle. I’ve seen a couple of options to add a bit of girth, one being grip tape, hockey maybe? Or you can cut a length of bicycle inner tube to fit over the grip. Neither is the most becoming option, but they may be worth a try.

Yeah, those might be options....

Ptac157 Ptac157 that !looks comfy, just a shame we Have to to that on knives that cost Over $200.

I heard it's moldable if hot? I wonder if Busse could sell us there scrap drop-off's to melt, and add to it? Or do it as an add on accessory? Haha
Heat a nice palm swell with a torch,melt the backside, and Add it on......I'd be happy with Black. :)

I know what you mean. I like the res-c material, but the handles are way too small for me. I would LOVE a thicker, larger res-c handle, but I’ve found the tennis racquet wrap to be the next best option. It’s cheap and doesn’t cause any permanent damage or marks on the handle, so it’s good for resale too

I'm going to second the Wilson wrap. I've done that on a couple of knives, and it made a huge difference in comfort. I would recommend the nicer, thicker single role stuff as opposed to the cheaper, thinner three pack.

Also works great on a pull up bar.

I remember reading about someone who dropped one into a fire, and it altered the shape of the handle. Another performed a one of a kind lawnmower modification that was so highly esteemed that the Bossman himself claimed it for his collection! :eek: Sports wraps certainly works, and is the simplest remedy. Thinking more about it, I’d imagine one could add layers of plasti-dip to slowly increase the size of the grip while still maintaining the overall shape. Should be easy to remove if you don’t like it, unless it somehow reacts with the res-c in some undesirable way. Maybe flexseal, or some other product could work, but those would likely be permanent modifications. I dunno. I’m not a lawyer. This is not medical advice. Dip at your own discretion.

Dont fear the regulator handle.. its in its own league , feels NOTHING aside from the res c texture like the larger 11 series handle shapes.. just my $.02

I remember reading about someone who dropped one into a fire, and it altered the shape of the handle. Another performed a one of a kind lawnmower modification that was so highly esteemed that the Bossman himself claimed it for his collection! :eek: Sports wraps certainly works, and is the simplest remedy. Thinking more about it, I’d imagine one could add layers of plasti-dip to slowly increase the size of the grip while still maintaining the overall shape. Should be easy to remove if you don’t like it, unless it somehow reacts with the res-c in some undesirable way. Maybe flexseal, or some other product could work, but those would likely be permanent modifications. I dunno. I’m not a lawyer. This is not medical advice. Dip at your own discretion.
Here is my fire dipped res c mod you were referring to.20201215_084956.jpg

I just wear a padded glove if I'm going to be doing extended chopping with the "regular" size Res-C handles. Works well enough for me with my XXL paws. I much prefer the Regulator handle.

I have small-to-medium paws. Regulator feels better to me than, say, BB13. Love them both...but the Regulator Res-C grip is the best.

Now, for the Mud Mutt or Scrapper 5... the mudder grips are completely different, and feel perfect.

Still warming to the Yard Slicer grip. It's.... different.

I have small-to-medium paws. Regulator feels better to me than, say, BB13. Love them both...but the Regulator Res-C grip is the best.

Now, for the Mud Mutt or Scrapper 5... the mudder grips are completely different, and feel perfect.

Still warming to the Yard Slicer grip. It's.... different.

I so far like the Yard Slicer...… I was expecting the "regular" handles to be bigger, but I think the palm swell on the Yard feels like there is more? And with a little blade, a small handle is ok....
My hands are normal sized, I Can't palm a basketball
but I find a bunch of knives just don't fit them....

On the Scrap Yard forum there has been hints over the last few months of a Big blade coming out....?
Hopefully the handle is large (thick) enough to support IT.

maybe a King Regulator?

I cut off a piece of high temperature tubing, and slit it down the middle. I attached them to the sides with silicone tape. It sticks to itself. It's kind of a neat thing. Feels good, and waterproof.

Not the best looking, but at least it adds the thickness that I want. I might add a half section on the top of the handle too? I'll have to use it more to see if it needs it

Back