Res-C handles shock resistance?

Jack of All Blades

Platinum Member
Shock as in VOLTS. Not vibration from chopping.
Anyone ever test one? I couldn't find anything on the web about it.
I know they're not advertised as "insulated" or "shock resistant"

Im just wondering if the rubber makes them withstand any sort of electrical current.

Shock as in VOLTS. Not vibration from chopping.
Anyone ever test one? I couldn't find anything on the web about it.
I know they're not advertised as "insulated" or "shock resistant"

Im just wondering if the rubber makes them withstand any sort of electrical current.
The only things I would ever trust to make contact with live, energized parts are properly rated insulated tools. Anything else is gambling with your life, period.

Edit-forgot about the lanyard tube, perfect conductor from the tang to your palm.

Yea you can't touch the flared tube, but I'm betting Res-C is highly insulating. You could test it pretty easily with a 9 volt and a volt meter, or a car battery with jumpers if you're brave and don't mind possibly arch welding the spot where the clamp bights the blade. Whether it would resist arching against 120v/15amp from your wall socket, or 240 from your washer/dryer socket, or even the full charge of a downed power line, that's another story...

Don’t have schwetty palms. I deal with 120 a lot at my work. Landscape irrigation controllers, not always easy to find or access the breaker to power down the 120 supply. I need to unconnect and reconnect wires that are live when swapping out clocks. I don’t/won’t do it in wet soil, nor rain. I go in with one hand. Once, my hand was wet, so were my wire strippers, had rubber/plastic handles. I wanted a fresh splice, so cut just one wire at a time and then went to strip, and jolt mother fucker! Rubber insulates, but wet or schwetty rubber conducts. Trust me on this one.

Guess that answers my first question. Now for the second question.

Can we have a run of handles that ARE?:thumbsup::D
Hey man, everyone here is only guessing! you have to test it first and make a video for real! .... It will only hurt for a little while .... that is if it even bites you ;) Man, I stuck a bobby pin in a outlet when I was like 5, still here- :p

Man, I stuck a bobby pin in a outlet when I was like 5, still here- :p

Too funny!! My little brother was about the same age when he did that with tweezers. Knocked his little ass for a loop, then he got a whipping on top of it ...

Winston

Too funny!! My little brother was about the same age when he did that with tweezers. Knocked his little ass for a loop, then he got a whipping on top of it ...

Winston
What's funny is, I'm pretty sure that's the same path my experience followed because I popped the breaker in the house and it went dark LOL! I can still to this day remember slowly inching my way up to those slots and then FLASH!!! really bright lights followed by every fiber of my being being jolted and then total darkness! ... don't remember the butt whipping so much, had too many of those to count LOLOLO!! It was the first of my experiments with electrons yet to come. I did most of my learning in reverse you might say LOL!

That would depend on the voltage, and how wet the ground is that you’re standing on, and how good your shoes are.

If you hang from a powerline and your feet are not touching the ground, you cannot get shocked, but if your feet touch the ground or if somebody cuts the powerline between your two hands and you still have a hold onto each end, you will be exploded

Most good rubbers help as an insulator but unless it’s rated to a certain voltage, there’s no guarantee.
My bet is that you would be fine chopping 120 V.
If you chop through a hot and a ground at the same time it will take a chunk out of your knife.
You may not get shocked but you better close your eyes, and have safety glasses on. And the more current or amperage the bigger the explosion.
So it depends on the situation.

Back