Rescaling A Buck 110/112

I'm toying with the idea of rescaling an older buck 112 that should be in the mailbox today. I have found a bunch of threads about removing old scales and epoxying new ones on but I havent found anything about replacing the scales with pins. So basically I want to replace the scales with functioning peeked pins. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? And pictures would be awesome! Thanks

Well, since no one had any suggestions, I've come up with a plan on my own. I've got my old 112 completely apart and have the antler scales glued in. I drilled through the old pin holes and tapped 4-40 threads in them. I found some brass screws with 4-40 threads and screwed them from the inside with thread locker. Tomorrow I will file the ends down and peen them to look like the original pins. Then I will file the screw heads flat and theoretically I will have functioning pins to help hold the scales down. I'll post some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested

I just now saw this. Yes, most persons do away with the pens and glue the new slabs on. Whats the stamp on your Buck's blade? Yes, the 4-40 brass screws should work as you desire pens. Buck stopped gluing their handles in place in 75 or 76. So, if the wood on your model didn't have glued on handles it's after that. Good luck on the antler handles. Glad you figured it out. DM

It's a two dot blade that's all but useless. Once I get the handles finished up I have a 482 blade I'm going to put in it.

"A two dot blade thats all but useless"? Was it worn? Those 2 dot blades are of 440C steel. The blade your wanting to put in it is of 420 steel.? Perhaps it's the shape your after. DM

That is correct. It was sharpened down to where the point actually would sit flush when closed. Somebody used this knife for a long time. I know I could have sen this in to the factory but I wanted to attempt doing it myself. I've pretty much reassembled everything, I'm just waiting on the donor knife now.

Thanks David. I'm going to my dads house to polish up the handles and I should have the donor knife in the mail today. I'm stoked about this

Okay here is a picture from yesterday. The scales are glued in and I have the brass screws installed.

photo_zpsda65dea4.jpg

And here is a picture after finishing the pins, reinstalling the lock bar and hitting it on the buffer

photo_zps1e78d507.jpg

The donor 482 should be in the mailbox and hopefully I will instal that tonight

It is a deer antler that my uncle gave me. I sanded it down so it would be flat. Its crazy though, it does look like bone. And i lucked out with the original scales, they werent glued in.

Okay everyone, she's done. Got the blade in. I had to use the lock bar from the 482 in order to make it work. I also had to drill out the blade bushing a little bit for the original pin to go back in. But it locks up tight and I'm pretty happy with it. It would have looked better if I had new pins but I may go back and do that later

photo_zps20590ed0.jpg

photo_zpse43ee487.jpg

Ok, good. So, your 2 dot was in the 1976 time frame and not glued. That makes a project like this easier. DM

Back