Rescaling the 110

I think that's it.

I don't think I forgot any crucial step. If you have any questions about any of it or some suggestions for use on future projects, please let me know. I spent a lot of time researching this before I attempted my first one. Much of this is what I gleaned from others going before me. I don't think I invented any of this myself. Just used a combination of what I saw or read. Forums like this are great arenas for learning and working together to do something we all love. And the 110s and 112s aren't too expensive to experiment with... so far. If you take your time, you can make your knife unique to you. I have to admit, it's pretty satisfying.

Besides that, they make fun gifts.

Craig

Looks great! Really... well done!

All I can offer are a few tips to speed the process up.

You can skip the step of clipping the scale pins by using a dremel and cutting wheel or aggressive sanding drum and just grind it down further. What's left of the pins will fall through and out when you lift the scales.

Get a good respirator and dust system. I rigged my shop vac up to mount on my big sander. You don't want to breathe any of it, seriously!

I have 2 variable speed bench grinders. Each has 2 heads. I don't remember if they're 6" or 8". Get stitched cotton wheels for them. I use a liquid applied clay abrasive on 3 of the 4. I don't recall the grit of each but will check when I get a chance. The last wheel use a good polish like Black Magic or Cut & Color. This makes polishing a breeze. I can go from ready to polish to liquid looking depth in just a few minutes.

Apparently, I don't have any photos...

You can skip the step of clipping the scale pins by using a dremel and cutting wheel or aggressive sanding drum and just grind it down further. What's left of the pins will fall through and out when you lift the scales.
Excellent point. I'll have to use that moving forward.

Get a good respirator and dust system. I rigged my shop vac up to mount on my big sander. You don't want to breathe any of it, seriously!
So true. I almost rigged something up with my shop vac on the sander. Not only is it bad to breathe, that horn dust smells terrible. I do use a respirator mask when I get down to the major sanding and material removal. If I do this more, I set up a more permanent system. Good advice that I left out.

I have 2 variable speed bench grinders. Each has 2 heads. I don't remember if they're 6" or 8". Get stitched cotton wheels for them. I use a liquid applied clay abrasive on 3 of the 4. I don't recall the grit of each but will check when I get a chance. The last wheel use a good polish like Black Magic or Cut & Color. This makes polishing a breeze. I can go from ready to polish to liquid looking depth in just a few minutes.
I have one designated 6" buffer. It has a loosely stitched wheel on one side and a tighter wheel on the other. I've never used the liquid abrasive compound on a wheel. Only the sticks. I will have to get some of the Black Magic and Cut & Color. I'm all for getting and using better tools!

Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions! It'll help me and it will help the next guy too.

Craig

mill428 mill428 Thanks for taking the time to share the pics and instruction with us.

That buffalo horn turned out fantastic!!! All three of the knives with the boxes is top shelf! Great work.
Thank you, Don W Don W . I enjoyed putting it all together. I love to figure out how things work and I assume there are others who have the same interest. I’m still learning. But this is my way of paying it forward and giving others a “peak under the hood” of one of my favorite knives.

Thank you kindly mill428 mill428 . I love the Nickel bolsters as well and I need to find one with them so I can attempt to replace their scales.
Most welcome, Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo . It's a little unnerving the first time you grind the scales off a perfectly good knife but if you have some mild mechanical abilities and a good supply of basic tools, you can make a knife that is unique to you.

Back