Rescue and return of Farmer Jack

As I have said in the past Rarity and condition are two of the biggest factors to be considered by the collector. Often times if a knife is very rare the condition is not as important as it would be on a model or pattern not as unusual or as difficult to obtain. Once in a while you will find a knife which is both rare and in excellent condition. Even more rare is to find an example to which you can validate with a history or provanance. In the past this was not as difficult to do as it is today. In the past people did not know what they had. In todays market the public is much more informed and growing more so each day. The exception to this is when a knife is so rare that people do not recognize it or you know something about that is not generally known or understood. Then once in a while a knife will ( so to speak ) fly under the radar.

I recently received a knife that I purchased on ebay. It is a S7309F (see pic catalogue ref) which is a 4,1/8" Budding and Pruning knife. These were also called farmers jacks, farmer knives, and Wharncliff jacks. These knives had an unusual patterned budding blade with a bark loosener and a pruning blade. This model was handled in Fibestos. This was a very early step up from celluloid and more stable. They also made this knife in a bolstered, shielded bone stag version # S7303 as well as an imi ivory cell version #S7304W. While celluloid and jigged bone can be replaced the original Fibestos is and never will be available again. The fact is that ( relatively ) very few of these were made, as well as this materials property of getting brittle over the years ( it was a form of early plastic) and breaking, means that very few examples in good condition even exist and most of those are in more common patterns that these materials were used on.

While years ago I did own a jigged bone version. I was forced to trade it to another collector as part of 8 knives I traded for a Press Button Guardian. I needed the knife for a book I was writing and really had no other choice. Since then I have seen a couple they were part of the Schrade collection. The only one I have ever seen in fibestos was the one in this collection and it was in pristene condition. When it was announced that Schrade would be selling its collection piece by piece at auction upon liquidation. A 30 page individual listing of these knives was put out. I still have that copy and on page 6 it lists the knife to which I refer. I had noted it to bid on it. ( see pic actual listing from originaly listed pieces ) . As we all know the auction never happened Smokey cut a deal bought it all and has been selling it.

I remembered seeing the knife and it was listed on page 6 of 30 on panel #7B. Because of my affialiation with Schrade I had taken pictures of these panels but since Smokey was on the way to pick them up at the time I was a bit rushed and did not number the panels. Now looking through I cannot find the exact knife however I included a pic of the bone version in the collection which was also on a panel just to show how they were displayed. ( see pic). Schrade made many variations of budding knives most were quite common this model was not.

This knife was apparently sold to a ( well known dealer ) who put it on ebay. He lists it as coming from the Schrade collection and having been bought from Smokey. A couple of well known names bid on it and i sniped it . Sniping is about the only way I seem to be able to bid anything since as soon as I bid early usually other bidders jump in ( from all over). I do not know if it is because of me or everyone has that problem but sniping is fair as far as I am concerned. In this case I paid 130 plus shipping. I was amazed and would have gone much higher ( higher than any sane person would have). The knife is perfect it is like holding a piece of living history. A truly rare pattern in a rare material in Near mint condition. To me this is a treasure.

I have related this story only to show that these items are out there, and present, to the modern collector one of the last opportunitys to save these bits of history and in some cases find items at flea markets and garage sales worth many time what they pay for them. It like any field requires study and determination. I would strongly suggest any reference books available. References aside from informing the reader whet the appetite. This old farmer is back home surrounded by its contemporarys, in a 80 year old Schrade Cutlery display case ( the way it should be ).

Attachments

• MVC-537S.JPG
    MVC-537S.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 42
  • MVC-538S.JPG
    MVC-538S.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 58
  • MVC-539S.JPG
    MVC-539S.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 54
Great story with a happy ending. I'm glad you got it LT!

Paul

Fantastic, LT. Good for you.
I gotta tell you... By now, other collectors (ebayers) know who you are. They see you bid on something, they know you know your knives. It's easy to do; you can check on anything anyone else is bidding on by using Ebay's advance search function and their user name. So a hint: Even if you can't snipe, at least wait until the auction is very near to being over.

Or, to throw these people off, you could start bidding on the multitude of fake Schrades (made by Bear, Camillus, whoever) being offered.

Just a thought.
Phil

Naa I can't believe I am that important. I would rather whack it at the end. Fair fight. LT PS Isn't that one blade a dandy. That whole knife is a classic and frankly finding that handle material in unused condition is tough.

Sometimes you have to wonder if things are meant to be.
Hopefully one day we will all be fortunate enough to see it.
Keep up th egood work LT.
Dennis

That's a great catch, Rich.

As you know, I have a liking for the open stock offerings, and have seen some real beauties up for auction of late. Unfortunately, nearly all are out of my price range, but even those that are not as pristine are being driven way up by certain bidders who have no shortage of cash (Greymenace, you know who you are...:D )

So until I hit the lottery, I am relegated to the island of misfit knives, where all the knives go that nobody wants to play with anymore.

Of course, that's my own choice. I could win all the auctions, but then the wife would want to know why the car and my son have suddenly disappeared. Oh well, I guess I'll have to pick my battles...

Well anyway, it ain't the Alamo bowie, but it's pretty nice anyway. Congrats.

(BTW, we all know you have the Alamo bowie already anyway...;) )

Glenn

I'm glad to see it back in the hands of a collector who will care for it and preserve it's context. You've taught us all that context on these knives is everything. I wonder how many knives from the collection are being now used by roofers, concrete finishers and other folks who have no earthly idea of the historical value of what they have, or reside in hodge-podge collections where they are tossed into boxes, their only provenance a hokey COA that proves nothing about origin or significance. Congrats again.

Codger

LT,
It is great that you were able to get the knife, and at such a reasonable price.
This brings me to a question about a knife I recently purchased. I had wondered what the handle was made of. It seems to have shrunk a bit, like the old celluloid often did. It too, is a budding knife, but single bladed and seems to have stainless liners. I think yours has brass liners, if I saw right in the picture. I think my blade is stainless steel, and has the tang stamp of:
SCHRADE/CUT. CO./WALDEN, N.Y.
As you can see part of the handle is broken off and the handle material appears to have shrunk some, but is higher around the pins. Perhaps it has been buffed down. I am not sure.
Does this knife have the Fibestos handles? Is there anything else you can tell me about this knife?

Thanks LT for your help,
Dale

Hi Dale your knife is a S1354 1/4 B. These are not as rare as the farmers jack. There really were two versions of this blade both are considered budding knives with a bark loosener but one is a bit fancier than the other. These were only made in celluloid ( imi ivory ) white and black. I have attached some pics along with a grafing knife and some information regarding special use knives. A shame on the handle but still a nice example. I hope this helps LT. PS info from Russel reprint CATALOG E and Supplements.

Attachments

• MVC-540S.JPG
    MVC-540S.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 11
  • MVC-541S.JPG
    MVC-541S.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-542S.JPG
    MVC-542S.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 7
  • MVC-543S.JPG
    MVC-543S.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 10
Wow Lt, thanks!
That helps. I have the same catalog, but hadn't thought to look in there. I didn't think the knife was that old. I also have the price guide for that catalog and it lists the price for that knife as $12. Is that per each, per dozen, per half dozen? That seems like a lot of money back in the 1930's.

I'll tell you what! There aren't any new knives that I know that have the snap this knife has. When it closes it sounds like a mouse trap.....SNAP.

Thanks again,
Dale

Thanks again LT. Now I have a little bit of history to go along with my knife.

Dale

Back