Reshaping Blades, Old Hickory and Others

me2

The Old Hickory brand is sometimes shown here as a popular brand to reshape to a Nessmuk style skinner. Are there any other brands that lend themselves to this? Also, are there any other shapes that are popular? I ask because I was thinking of making an Old Hickory or Green River butcher knife into a scalping pattern, one of my favorites for simplicity and verstility since I bought a Cold Steel version.

Whats the thickness on the hacksaw blade and where did you find one that wide?

It is 0.1 inch thick, and I got them from a guy on rec.knives named David MacDonald. Let me know if you are interested, they are monster blades, but I have a couple that a friend made for me, and you have to try them to believe how well they keep an edge.

I've talked to Dave about buying some before, but the deal fell through with some other bills that come before toy money. Have you found a way to drill holes for handles? I'd like to try one just to see what the talk is about. I sent a friend a hunter of O1 years ago, and he said he had to sharpen it before it made it through 1 deer. I'd love to hand him one made from these and see his eyes pop out after the difference was noticed. Is the one in the picture a half or whole blade?

It's about a third of the blade, maybe. The blade is 24 inches long. Dave got into a car accident, and I don't know how he made out, he's not posting or answering emails. I haven't drilled the holes yet, I've heard that carbide is required. I'll borrow you one of the blades I have if you want to try it out.

One way to put a suprisingly nice hole into thin, hardened steel is this:

Lay the steel flat on the end-grain of a log, like a piece of firewood. Take a nail-set, and give it a stout wallop with a hammer. It punches right through- nice round hole, and then you've just got a little sanding to do on the backside.
Couldn't believe how fast and easy, the first time I saw it done.

We have a couple of steel suppliers and fabricators locally, sometimes they'll give you their worn out cutting blades (like the one shown above) if you ask nice. I got two that way.

"Let me know if you are interested, they are monster blades, but I have a couple that a friend made for me, and you have to try them to believe how well they keep an edge. "

That would be great. I contacted Dave once about a year ago. I need to again to see if he has any packages of blades left.

Sodak, I didnt realize Dave had an accident. Hope he's ok.

The Green River knives seem to be full flat, which would be nice, and are a little more expensive, which I hope indicates better quality, mainly higher edge holding ability. Since they come in kit form, they would probably be my preference, although an Old Hickory is a whole knife for less that just the GR blade.

Back