1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resin filled eyes.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Gator39, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Gator39

Gator39

May 13, 2017
    As a newbie to axes, I always thought if an axe or hatchet had a resin filled eye, it was an indication of a cheapie short cut in new production.
    As with all things, I'm learning that may not be the case.
    Can the wise elders share their knowledge on this practice?
    Timeline.
    Companies involved.
    Effect on desirability.

Thanks.

2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Plumb started doing it in 1956 under the name 'Permabond'. Modern fiberglass handles are typically installed this way. As you say, most of the new stuff is hardware store trash. The old Plumbs are fantastic.

3. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Can't say I have ever seen a perma bonded handle that was loose. Even some that where badly weathered from being left out in the elements.

Square_peg likes this.
  4. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
  5. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Hults Bruk had epoxied heads at some point, reportedly called "Agdorfix", and there are some archived Canadian newspapers from the early 1970s that mention Agdorfix, like this Canadian Tire ad from 1972 with a $2.39 hatchet:

"...Forged steel head with permanent-bond 'Agdorfix' wood handle..."

[​IMG]
    The Ottawa Journal, May 31, 1972, page 80

Gransfors Bruk also used epoxy for a while. According to the company history, in 1988 (or thereabouts) Gransfors stopped using "the epoxy adhesive previously used for attaching the handles."
    https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/about/the-history-of-the-company/

BamaDADx3 and Agent_H like this.
  6. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    I have a stack of Swedish Army H-Bs what are epoxy fitted.
    As stuck in wood & wiggled to remove, notices some looseness one sees at the haft shoulder.
    One might think of it as a loose head, But its not coming off... Otherwise perfectly serviceable.

Agent_H likes this.
  7. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Agdorfix -

[​IMG]

Square_peg and rjdankert like this.
  8. rjdankert

rjdankert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I have a Hults Bruk hatchet with epoxy and I've seen pictures of other HBs with epoxy. I've tried to get a date range for those, but so far no luck.

Off topic, but I thought interesting post on a HB with epoxy:

Bob

9. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Billnas, after they were absorbed by Fiskars used epoxy as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step in the evolution of their "epoxy" went all the way down to the palmswell ;)

10. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Epoxy has been used in extensively in Europe. I use it for bonding honeycombs in cars (the 200KG/cm2). But I really don't like it for axes. You can sand it down however, but its a lot of work! I only use it for things that don't need replacing under normal circumstances.

11. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Havent seen a fiskars stamped one before! :cool:

Agent_H likes this.
  12. Comeththeblob

Comeththeblob

Sep 6, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. BamaDADx3

BamaDADx3

Jul 1, 2016
    I thought it was created to teach People how to Cuss. Because that's what I end up doing every time i have to try and remove one. ;)

14. Shampt

Shampt

Saturday
    I have a Diamond brand axe, stamped HK behind the eye, that was given to me, handle looked fine, epoxy'd head, sharpened and took about 20 swings into splitting a log, started to feel loose, about 5 more swings and when I pulled the handle up the handle slid clean out of the eye leaving the epoxy and some woodfibres. +1 for traditionally set heads, at least you can see when they need a tap, and can access them to do said tapping.

15. Goose 7279

Goose 7279 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Plumb permabond is some of the toughest stuff out there IMO. Never had one slide off without drilling it into swiss cheese first.

Miller '72 likes this.