Resiprene-C (and Basics) Resource Thread

Can't believe that nobody else has found and/or posted that. It's been out there for years. This is just the first time I got around to posting the link.

Even if that IS the source (no proof) it still leaves the question of what exactly is Resiprene-C ?? As Jerry seems to be fond of making various materials his own, through branding or unique HT for steel alloys, could the C simply stand for Custom? It would not be surprising that a supplier would formulate a custom blend of a thing for a good customer. Or make a custom blend to a customer's specifications. :rolleyes:

Sure—makes sense. Or there may have been some nomenclature used internally by the company as shorthand for the hardness ratings, such as designating the five opaque hardness classes A, B, C, D,E. Maybe C was the sweet spot for Jerry’s application? Who knows? Interesting stuff (for chemists and knife-a-holics:D).

Added links to more threads in the second post, including subjects like rust resistance, durability, maintaining the asym edge, a HOGB8 thread link and a Dual Survival segment where Dave Canterbury serves up turtle for breakfast on a B11 I believe he personally bought at Blade Show 2010.

Last edited:
Wow, I used to provide value here?!?! Who'd of thunk it?

I was most struck by the good folks we don't see anymore ... Peter, Andre, and even rolf ;)

My bourbon addled brain seems to recall a thread by last visible canary (?) wherein he dug out some roots by pounding the heel of his Basic 9 with a hammer. But my meager attempts at searching find nothing by that member. This after spending a good 30 seconds on it!

IIRC he had three screen names over the years, and his real name might have been Seth (?) Haven't seen him here in years. He, like me, preferred ThINFI, to the point that he had ordered a CS skinny BOSS Jack. Then was forced to sell it when money got tight. Damn, I wish I could have bought that knife! Some regrets. He was also very concerned with handle ergos and had great insight on handle designs.

Miss that guy.
His forum name is "Last Visible Canary" (with a space between the words); I do not remember his real name, so I looked for some old emails but they were gone. If you search for user name exactly like the above, his posts will be found. I miss him too - he had a lot of good insight about knives.

Here is the CS BJ you were referring to, in the photo on the left. I have not measured either one, but the one from LVC is about 1/8" (.125) thick vs. the one on the right at about .22" thick. Not only is it extra thin, but he did an amazing job sharpening it - it is truly scary sharp! :eek::)

BJthin&thick.jpg

Ah, so you have his CS CABJ? Please keep me in mind if you ever want to move it.

Even if you could machine it, without the rigidity of something like micarta or G10, wouldn't you have a problem with is separating from the tang around the edges and gunk getting under the slabs? Tube fasteners aren't going to hold the edges down. You'd have to have some kind of durable, super-strong adhesive to keep it from separating around the edges, and with the flexibility of the material, I doubt you could even count on that to hold over the long term.

But maybe as an insert glued into a hollowed out micarta or G10 handle -- sort of like G-Rex with a lip all the way around. Also, you'd probably need fastener cut-outs in the insert so the tube fasteners would only attach to the rigid micarta or G10 base.

This is what @Nathan the Machinist came up with for the competition choppers and offered with the Behemother chopper he sold awhile back.

vtHkA7n.jpg

:cool:

Back