1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Respirator life

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by PaulDiStefano, Oct 12, 2017.

1. PaulDiStefano

PaulDiStefano KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 14, 2016
    hey guys, I'm curious to see how long each of your respirator filters last you. How many days/weeks/months/knives does one filter last you. I'm asking each individual maker.
    Thanks fellas
    -Paul

2. Geoff Flato

Geoff Flato KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 23, 2017
    I never pay much attention to life myself, I just replace them when they start going from white to grey (I use the north P100 cartridges). I've got good enough dust collection that usually takes months.
    Normally the respirator is due for washing before my cartridges are really done, so I just replace them then regardless.

PaulDiStefano likes this.
  3. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    I use the 3m breathe easy with the particulate cartridges... Replace them every 3 months to be on the safe side.

4. PaulDiStefano

PaulDiStefano KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 14, 2016
    Thanks guys. I'll look into both of those you guys use and I only make around 3 knives a month so maybe I'll buy 4 and they'll last me the year if I change them every 3 months

5. Geoff Flato

Geoff Flato KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 23, 2017
    Normally I find the mask gets dirty enough I want to take it apart to wash it every two or three months. Easy enough to just put new cartridges on at the same time.

The north mask I use is about $12 and cartridges about $7

6. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    If you search my username and P100 you will find several responses, some respirators and filters have snap over caps with prefilters.

Changing prefilters can extend other filters - breathe you long time.

7. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    I wore one for years welding. You replace them when it gets hard to breath. It really hard to predict when you need to change them. I had them lasts week at least with good ventilation and plugged up brand new ones in 20 minutes when welding inside of a fuel tank.

If it helps I am using a 3m with the purple pancake filters. I got them on Amazon for less then $10. I have been spending about 20 hours a week at least working on knifes and I put the filters on about 5 weeks ago. When you are using them for dust sometimes you can nock the dust out of them for a little more life. You should break the mask down once a week min and wash it with soap and water. Also be careful to not let grinding dust get inside or it can be worse than not wearing one.

PaulDiStefano and 12345678910 like this.
  8. JTknives

JTknives ABS Apprentice Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I used a forced air respirator and I go through filters quite fast when I'm processing 15n20 with the plasma cutter. So quick in fact that a down draft plasma table is in the works to be built. I have gotten concerned enough with what I breath in that I actually shaved my beard. Shocked my wife, she has never seen my with out it. But I can grow another beard I cant grow another lung.

9. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    I met a painter in a refinery that got pissed off with the shave every day rule. He kept his whole beard except that he would shave in a seeling ring. It was awsome. It was mostly a neck beard

10. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I was going through filters in a matter of days until I got a mask with pre filters. It’s the synthetic handle material that does them in. I’m not sure if it’s just my imagination, but high humidity seems to decrease filter life in my shop.

12345678910 and PaulDiStefano like this.
  11. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    One of the beauties of a PAPR is that you can have a full beard and you are still protected :D You just have to make sure that you use the appropriate filter for what you are working with (i.e. the particulate filters won't filter out fumes). I do this full time and after about a month it looks like this:

[​IMG]

When it gets like this I will use my shop vac to suck it out from this same side. But the inside is perfectly clean, never any dust in my nostrils or anything, love it!

[​IMG]

Here's what I use, but PAPR system filters get dirtier quicker because they are constantly sucking air through jsyk

[​IMG]

12. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i change the pink 2091 filters about every 4-5 months, or earlier if they look dirty. i am not sure how long they are actually meant to be used. the elastic head bands on the face piece get stretched out in about a year and a half and i buy a whole new one. i am not sure how long those silicone flap valves are supposed to last either.

13. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    ...anybody bother to call North or 3M to ask what THEY suggest? I’m going to go out on a limb and guess they’ll have a pretty good opinion on expected filter longevity.

14. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    My wife washes my filters twice a week. I just pull my shirt up over my nose. ;)

15. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    I have the same system. Did you get yours from eBay when I posted all these systems for super cheep. I think the thing that gets me is the mask that came with mine is to small and quite uncomfortable. I need to replace it.

16. PaulDiStefano

Nov 14, 2016
    Thx so much for all of your setups and the info guys. It really helped a lot!!! I always wear a respirator but I'm starting to get worried about my lung health because I will be in the FDNY in a couple of years and constantly breathing in smoke and crud. I don't want to do that at work and then again at home in my shop. You guys are awesome thanks again

17. javand

javand KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2010
    It depends on so many variables. P100 filters on a face mask don't last long. Versaflo PAPR filters that hang around my rear last forever, but are expensive. I'm still using one for two or so years that still passes the flow rate test easily. Although it was an expensive system, and you can buy quite a few round filters for the price of one of these replacements.

I should add though, that I don't hog much micarta, and rarely ever use g10. Those materials are especially tough on filters IMO.

Being habitually bearded makes it pretty mandatory however. I'll also add; the more comfortable and convenient your protective gear is, the more likely you'll use it. If it's a pain in the ass, annoying, or uncomfortable, you simply won't.

PaulDiStefano and Josh Rider like this.
  18. javand

javand KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2010
    I've got the 3m Versaflo, with m-307 hard hat helmet, and really like it, and find it about as comfortable as one can expect considering what it is, FWIW. Hood works just like a welding helmet, in fact, it's the same system used with the Speedglas helmets that take PAPR input. You can raise the visor and it'll stay up, pull it right off, putting it back on requires just one turn lock adjustment on the back. I'd recommend looking into them.

I can't stand the soft hoods, or worse, the strap-masks/faceshields. Too much fiddle factor, too difficult to pull on and off, and lots of pinch, pull points.

19. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    no... but that is a good idea. i will guess it is variable depending on what particulates the filter is handling. i probably wear mine more than most people, sometimes i forget it is on and end up wearing it when its not needed.

20. KUNTZI66

KUNTZI66

Jan 31, 2014
    I use the resp-o-rator, change filters every 3 months. I exhaust tons of air and use a 20x30 filter system. Replacing dusty air before it hits the filter, I think is the key.