1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rest in peace, AG Russell

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by minimize, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I’ve really gotten into his knives in recent years, I have a bunch of them. So sad to hear this. R.I.P.

2. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Sorry to hear this. RIP

3. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    http://www.westfieldchapel.com/book-of-memories/3629481/Russell-Andrew/service-details.php

SPRINGDALE, Ark. (KNWA) - The owner of A.G. Russell Knives in Northwest Arkansas died on Friday (Oct.12) during what was supposed to be a routine angiogram, according to the obituary for A.G. Russell III.

A.G. Russell III died during a routine angiogram to check for blockage in a coronary artery.

Russell spent most of his business days working with Phil Gibbs on knife designs and talking to customers in the store, according to the obituary.

"Saturdays were especially important to him. He would spend most of the six hours that the store was open on that day, talking to customers. He especially enjoyed the little ones," the obituary states.

The first visitation will be held on Sunday from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. at Westfield Chapel Funeral Home in Springdale.

The Funeral services will be held on Monday, October 22 at 2:00 p.m. at Lakeview Baptist Church on Hwy 264 between Lowell and Cave Springs.

4. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Sad to hear...RIP

5. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    I spoke with him at Blade over the years. He was a good guy and a major influence in the industry. He will be missed.

n2s

6. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    A giant in the industry ! :( I still have my One Hand Knife It made me to never buy a folder that couldn't open with one hand !! :thumbsup:

7. RKH

RKH

Oct 29, 2005
    I got an email from A G Russel CO. today about his passing. God Bless and RIP. His one hand knife is a favorite on mine. One of the truly greats of the knife world.
    RKH

8. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.

9. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    This is a true loss to the community. Like many others, I'm sure, I grew up pining over the A.G. Russell catalogs.

I have had the pleasure of owning several of his knives over the years and was always pleasantly surprised by the quality and unique nature of each. A.G. seemed to have a unique ability to balance fad with tradition, value with quality and design with simplicity. I still find myself staring at his catalog trying to divine some rationale to sell my wife on another purchase. Much like I did with my mom so many years ago.

You will be missed sir. Rest in peace.

WValtakis likes this.
  10. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    I posted this in the Customs forum. But I feel I should share it here as well. It shows the kind of man A.G. was to all around him and even to those who weren't close (geographically).

I still feel like a friend is gone from this world even if I only got to spend a little bit of time with him.

11. red mag

red mag

Apr 12, 1999
    RIP
    Condolences to the family.

12. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Perhaps the most resillient member of the knife industry. It just seemed like no matter what changed AG Russell was always there doing his thing. The world is truly poorer for this loss.

RIP Mr. Russell

WValtakis likes this.
  13. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Rip Brother so sorry to hear this.

14. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Never knew him but God Bless you and RIP Sir.

15. Jeepdude8

Jeepdude8

Oct 18, 2018
    RIP. Mr. Russell

16. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    This was a shocker, prayers are lifted up to Goldie and the family. I did not know him personally but I always felt like he was a grandfatherly type of man to this hobby. Good times, good conversations, and good friends. He will be missed.

17. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Oh crap, I met him a few years ago and he was such a nice man. Well this made me sad

18. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    My condolences.

19. Tenbeers

Tenbeers Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 1998
    A huge loss.
    He was a walking,talking encyclopedia of knife history and information.
    He answered questions for me on several occasions. His insight was so important to me and countless others.
    His contributions to the knife industry are too numerous to name and his like won't be seen again.
    I guess I thought he'd be with us forever. Anytime would have been too soon.
    Condolences to his loved ones.

20. mtngunr

mtngunr

Apr 10, 2005
    Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine: et lux perpetua luceat ei.

He essentially invented the entire industry, is all he did....mail order knives, collectible publications, and organization of makers and collectors into an industry with even a voice and political clout.

The company now, and for some time, taken over by the bean counters, unfortunately, but, AG and folk like him were an era to themselves...

We shall not see their like again.

LX_Emergency likes this.