Rest in peace, AG Russell

I’ve really gotten into his knives in recent years, I have a bunch of them. So sad to hear this. R.I.P.

http://www.westfieldchapel.com/book-of-memories/3629481/Russell-Andrew/service-details.php

SPRINGDALE, Ark. (KNWA) - The owner of A.G. Russell Knives in Northwest Arkansas died on Friday (Oct.12) during what was supposed to be a routine angiogram, according to the obituary for A.G. Russell III.

A.G. Russell III died during a routine angiogram to check for blockage in a coronary artery.

Russell spent most of his business days working with Phil Gibbs on knife designs and talking to customers in the store, according to the obituary.

"Saturdays were especially important to him. He would spend most of the six hours that the store was open on that day, talking to customers. He especially enjoyed the little ones," the obituary states.

The first visitation will be held on Sunday from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. at Westfield Chapel Funeral Home in Springdale.

The Funeral services will be held on Monday, October 22 at 2:00 p.m. at Lakeview Baptist Church on Hwy 264 between Lowell and Cave Springs.

I spoke with him at Blade over the years. He was a good guy and a major influence in the industry. He will be missed.

n2s

A giant in the industry ! :( I still have my One Hand Knife It made me to never buy a folder that couldn't open with one hand !! :thumbsup:

I got an email from A G Russel CO. today about his passing. God Bless and RIP. His one hand knife is a favorite on mine. One of the truly greats of the knife world.
RKH

condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.

This is a true loss to the community. Like many others, I'm sure, I grew up pining over the A.G. Russell catalogs.

I have had the pleasure of owning several of his knives over the years and was always pleasantly surprised by the quality and unique nature of each. A.G. seemed to have a unique ability to balance fad with tradition, value with quality and design with simplicity. I still find myself staring at his catalog trying to divine some rationale to sell my wife on another purchase. Much like I did with my mom so many years ago.

You will be missed sir. Rest in peace.

I posted this in the Customs forum. But I feel I should share it here as well. It shows the kind of man A.G. was to all around him and even to those who weren't close (geographically).

Just got up this morning and a friend messaged me about this.
It hits close to my heart.

Here's a little anecdote about what A.G. was like.

Back in 2012 I visited a social media site somewhere. It had a group dedicated to AG's knives and buisiness. I'd always admired his designs and after having bought a couple of them I professed the hope that I'd one day get to shake his hand.

AG visited that group himself (I was unaware of this before). Aparantly he'd read my post and sent me a personal message, something along the lines of:
"In a few months we'll have the A.G. Russell knife event for 2012. If you come over we'll take care of you for the time you're here."

Basically he offered to put me up for the entire duration of the knife event, a couple of days beforehand and afterwards until I would fly back home.

I could not resist that offer and although we didn't have a lot of money (and international tickets are expensive) my wife said "You might never get an offer like this again. You should go!" and we booked a ticket.

A.G. picked me up from the airport personally with his brother Bill.
They put me up in their guesthouse, took me out for meals for the entire period, put me up in the hotel during the Event itself. We talked, He shared stories about so many legendary knifemakers like RWL and Bill Moran etc.
They gave me a tour of the A.G. Russell complex. I got to meet people I never thought I'd meet. But I think the best times I had while I was there was when I got to spend time with A.G., Goldie and Bill. They made me feel like I was family and I'll cherish that memory for the rest of my life.

I could see through the videos that they did every now and then that AG seemed to be having a harder and harder time with the state of his body. So his passing does not surprise me. But it does sadden me. The world is shorter one giant. The knifeworld is down one Titan.

My heart goes out to Goldie who will have to do without her faithful partner of the last decades. And to Phil Gibbs and the other people at A.G. Russell Knives.
I still feel like a friend is gone from this world even if I only got to spend a little bit of time with him.

Perhaps the most resillient member of the knife industry. It just seemed like no matter what changed AG Russell was always there doing his thing. The world is truly poorer for this loss.

RIP Mr. Russell

This was a shocker, prayers are lifted up to Goldie and the family. I did not know him personally but I always felt like he was a grandfatherly type of man to this hobby. Good times, good conversations, and good friends. He will be missed.

Oh crap, I met him a few years ago and he was such a nice man. Well this made me sad

A huge loss.
He was a walking,talking encyclopedia of knife history and information.
He answered questions for me on several occasions. His insight was so important to me and countless others.
His contributions to the knife industry are too numerous to name and his like won't be seen again.
I guess I thought he'd be with us forever. Anytime would have been too soon.
Condolences to his loved ones.

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine: et lux perpetua luceat ei.

He essentially invented the entire industry, is all he did....mail order knives, collectible publications, and organization of makers and collectors into an industry with even a voice and political clout.

The company now, and for some time, taken over by the bean counters, unfortunately, but, AG and folk like him were an era to themselves...

We shall not see their like again.

Back