Restoration of Old Scraper Knife

Hello everyone, I have some questions about restoring an old scraper. I know it isn’t a knife per say but it has many similar features like a wooden handle, brass pins and a blade of sorts.

This scraper belonged to my late father-in-law and was passed on to me upon his passing. I’d like to be able to restore it for one to honor him and second because I use it all the time.

Unfortunately the handle broke on it and am looking for some advice on how to restore it.

I am going to order some blanks and was wondering if anyone could identify the species? I think it’s cherry but not certain(please see attached pics).

In addition it has a fluted pin on the bottom to hang it, does anyone know if this comes out and can be reinserted? As it looks to be countersunk into the wood.

And last, would I be able to save/conserve the top brass pin? It has the marking “Made in the USA” and I think it’d be nice to keep that element.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

Last edited:
The back lanyard tube is probably not reuseable unless you cut off the flared ends, and thin out the handles a bit to account for the loss. The "made in the USA" rivet is a "Cutler's rivet" or "compression rivet". Normally, these aren't reusable, but since you are removing the old handles, you might be able pry open the rivet once the handle is off.

Handle looks like maybe stained maple. Good putty knife handles were usual maple, applewood, or walnut. Sometimes cocobolo or rosewood on the best grades.

The back lanyard tube is probably not reuseable unless you cut off the flared ends, and thin out the handles a bit to account for the loss. The "made in the USA" rivet is a "Cutler's rivet" or "compression rivet". Normally, these aren't reusable, but since you are removing the old handles, you might be able pry open the rivet once the handle is off.

Handle looks like maybe stained maple. Good putty knife handles were usual maple, applewood, or walnut. Sometimes cocobolo or rosewood on the best grades.

Thank you for the advice. I'm thinking I will probaby just replace the lanyard tube with some new tubing after giving it some further thought. Thank you for the info on the name of that type of rivet, I will do some research on it before proceeding. Was thinking about possibly slicing off the portion with the stamp and possibly brazing it to a new pin?

As for the handle, I've been told this thing is a cheap throwaway by some and others have told me it's rosewood so who knows? I will probably just find a nice hardwood I like and replace. Thanks for your help!

Back