Restoring Blunt Tip

I'm finally able to to get excellent blade edges using the Sharpmaker but during the learning process, I've slightly blunted some of the blade tips. Is there a recommended procedure for restoring the tip using the Sharpmaker?

Sorry to hear that. The only thing i have heard is to resharpen and when bringing the knife down on the rods not to round the knife tip off the rod. You should stop at the base of the rod with the point of the blade still on the rod at least a quarter width of the rod. There is a video on youtube about how to correctly sharpen with the Sharpmaker and not round the tips. I quess this is a common drawback to the system because the is no stop for the blade against the rod. Best of luck to you.

SparkyMark86

Looks like someone found the video...nice job AfterTFD.

Last edited:

Jason B.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Its a very common mistake when you first start sharpening, the video posted above shows proper technique for sharpening but I don't think I would use his technique for fixing the tip. Re-profiling the edge will fix your tip and keep you from grinding on the spine of your blade. Good luck and keep the tip on the stone.

I've had this problem too. The video makes sense, but when sharpening on the edge of triangle rather than flat side, if you don't roll tip off, you stop sharpening just shy of tip, which eventually would create a groove. Do you just not sharpen on edge of triangle?

After going to step 2 and 4 on the sharpmaker always give some extra time to the last 1/2 inch to the tip on the flat side of the stones. Sharpening on the corners always stop before the actual tip. When they slip on the corners they'll blunt. When doing this i tilt the back of the handle so the tip is kind of horizontal with the flats.
:cool:

kgd

If you have a guided rod system like the lansky, it is worth dusting it off and bringing it out to reprofile the tip. You can get a wonderful new tip this way that matches the primary bevel and the rest of the blade.