Restoring Nazi daggers?

I got a Waffen SS dagger yesterday, made by Alexander Coppel and Sons, 1939, I believe. It has a lot of patina build up on the hilt and pommel, and the blade inscription is heavily scratched in the middle from the scabbard, and has some black marks on the blade. Does anyone know the proper way to go about restoring historical pieces or anyone who does that kind of work professionally?

Chang

I hate to be the first to tell you this but "don't". It should be left "as is" as with most vintage stuff. Sorry.

Craig

Keep the knife in the condition it was found, unless you are willing to loose alot of value. If you want a shiny one there are plenty of reproductions on the market.

n2s

Just a general question on what is collectable. Are there some general guidelines on what will make a knife less value.

I saw on your site some camilus jet pilots knives. I have one which was issued to an Australian SAS soldier. It is a 1984 model.

Knowing who owned it does that make it more valuable or is it just contition and numbers produced.

Originally posted by Reg ELLERY
Just a general question on what is collectable. Are there some general guidelines on what will make a knife less value.

I saw on your site some camilus jet pilots knives. I have one which was issued to an Australian SAS soldier. It is a 1984 model.

Knowing who owned it does that make it more valuable or is it just contition and numbers produced.

Right now, there is a Sig P226 on auction that was owned by Jaoquin Jackson. He was(is) one of the notorious Texas Rangers. If I had the money right now it would be mine! As makers we must remember it is more the owner than the maker. For example, look at the Searles Bowie on display at the Alamo. If Rezin Bowie had not had it commisioned then what would the value be? In legend, think about Excalibur...if it hadn't been for Arthur... We are but humble makers.

Reg ELLERY,

Just about anything is collectible. But usually when you can associate an artificat with an event like a war, a change in production, or a notable personage, it becomes more desirable to a broader range of collectors. Your Australian knife would be a desirable item for anyone trying to assemble a collection of Australian SAS materials. This would be on top of whatever demand is out there for the knife itself.

There are a lot of nazi knives in circulation. But, most of them are fake. The patina and whatever is left of the original finish can be a big help in authenticating an original example.

n2s

Back