1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse switch on VFD for TW-90?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Spideyjg, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Anyone done this.
    I'm considering it as I have sharpened horizontal edge trailing for years and trying to switch both directions and location I'm not getting as good an edge.

Thinking if I had a reverse switch it would be more familiar.

Yes I am still trying to switch over and will eventually grok it but a reverse direction may be a crutch in the meantime.

Jim

2. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    No problem

the control is a KBAC-27D by KB Electronics.

They sell a drop in switch kit.

07Vette likes this.
  3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Yep, it comes with instructions and all parts.

07Vette likes this.
  4. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Thanks guys. Got it on order and will post a follow up.

Jim

5. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Part arrived today and installed easy as pie. The tracking doesn't work well in reverse, at best it is about 1/8" to the right.

12345678910 likes this.
  6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Remember to turn the belt around when you run it backwards.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  7. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Pretty sure I did but will double check tonight. Last night was just getting it installed and checking basics.
    Took on too many projects this week with this, assembling a new drill press, and finding a spot for it.

8. KCGGBC

KCGGBC KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 14, 2012
    Mine tracks just fine in reverse.

9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    It will track fine, but the splice will be hitting backwards.

10. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Flipped the belt and same result. I can track it farther right but the furthest left leaves about 1/8" hanging off the right side of the wheel. Going forward that "best setting", for reverse on the track, the belt goes far enough left to rub the housing.

Same with the 8" wheel and platen.

11. mike-E

mike-E

Mar 2, 2013
    That's really strange to me. I always thought th tw 90 would actually track better in reverse.

12. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Sent them an E-mail to ask what to try if anything.

13. knife to a gunfight

knife to a gunfight

Oct 17, 2007
    How's your belt tension? Have you tried a new belt? I'd crank the ratchet as tight as you can stand it and see if that helps at all. If that, or a new belt doesn't fix it, there may be something mildly out of alignment or possibly bent?