Review – Boker Plus Jim Wagner Reality-based Blade

Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Basic Member
REVIEW – BOKER PLUS JIM WAGNER REALITY-BASED BLADE

Terry Trahan and our kind friends at Boker U.S.A. have graciously sent to me a Jim Wagner Reality-Based Blade for formal testing and evaluation; hopefully this review will shed some light on this excellent self-defense tool.

For those new to my formal reviews, please understand that I carry a knife for self-defense purposes and little else. I have a small Wenger Swiss Army Knife that I use for general hacking on things – the knife in my right hand pants pocket is always an SD blade and is always razor sharp. In reviewing this knife I am assessing its value as an SD blade, not as a blade for cutting up cardboard and such. Please keep this in mind during the review.

CONSTRUCTION

The first thing I noticed about this knife is the overall feel and construction; this is not a lightweight blade! At 6.2 ounces it weighs a trifle more than my Spyderco Gunting, but the difference is largely nominal and would make little difference in EDC. The Boker features nylon scales with full steel liners for strength.

The lock on this knife is very robust, to say the least. In fact, the closest comparison I can make to another factory blade for lockup strength would be a very expensive Extrema Ratio I once handled! One note – you are NOT going to flick this knife open with a wrist flick, though a thumb flick is quite possible after it loosens up a bit.

It carries very well in the pocket – a bit thicker than some knives, I admit, but a great deal more comfortable in the hand due to the ergonomics of its thicker grip.

BLADE

The slightly sub-4 inch (three and seven eighths-inches) blade is manufactured of 440C steel, and is marked “Made in Taiwan”. It is extremely sharp and has already caused one injury to a friend of mine who was examining it. An important note - I suggest making it a point to not drop the open blade on your finger as many users do with Spyderco knives and such while closing the blade, as you positively will get cut. I almost did myself when I first received the knife – it was only the initial stiffness of the mechanism that prevented it.

The blood groove is probably a bit over the top – I don’t see the utility. I would consider that it might add a bit of stiffness to the blade, but truthfully, this blade does not need it - it is very thick and equally robust.

The overall blade profile is very unusual, but it melds two of my favorite blade styles. The Boker catalog describes it as a kris blade or flamberge, but I am not entirely sure I agree. The tip is much like a modified tanto point, and it features what could almost be described more accurately as a hawkbilled profile underneath. Normally I would not advocate blending styles in this way, but I think that Boker got this exactly right. You have the advantages of a hawkbilled blade in opponent control and defensive cutting, while also enjoying the advantages of a tanto point for thrusting, penetrating cuts. This gives this blade the best of both worlds, at least in my opinion. The blade is available in both plain edge and serrated edge.

BALANCE

The balance of this knife is excellent, sitting perfectly in the hand with the balance point on or about the index finger. It swings surprisingly well into reverse grip from forward grip even without indexing divots or the like. The heft in the hand is considerable, but I hardly expect a lightweight SD blade to inspire confidence.

OTHER FEATURES

The Boker Jim Wagner Reality-Based Blade has another feature I find most intriguing: an interchangeable clip-retention screw. One is a glass-breaker, something frequently overlooked on SD knives and a feature I very much like to see on them. With the aid of a small included spanner wrench it can be replaced with a screw looking very much like the cap of a ball-point pen for concealment purposes. I really like this feature – low-profile is always a positive plus.

I will mention one caveat with the pen tip – law enforcement will generally consider such urban camouflage as hiding the true purpose and identity of the “weapon”. For example, it is perfectly legal in my jurisdiction to carry any length single-edged blade so long as it remains unconcealed (concealed blade lengths must not exceed 3½”). However, if the pen tip is in place, many LEOs would consider the knife concealed and I would be in violation of the law were I to carry it. I would advise caution in using this feature – check your local laws.

The knife also has great potential as an SD tool in the closed position, having several protrusions for use in giving an assailant a good smack to deter further aggression. The glass breaker would also excel at such non-lethal persuasion.

FINAL ANALYSIS

My overall impressions? I am impressed; very much so. In my estimation, with the purchase of this knife you essentially are getting the features, ergonomics and construction of a blade easily two to three times this price for a very reasonable cash outlay. The Boker Jim Wagner Reality-Based Blade retails at $89.95 USD, which is a minor investment considering the outstanding quality of this knife. The knife has found its way into my EDC rotation and will likely remain there for quite a while.

Questions or comments may be directed to:
doctor.hannibal.lecter.md@gmail.com

Do you imagine the pen-tip being strong enough to function as a glass-breaker?

The blood groove is probably a bit over the top – I don’t see the utility. I would consider that it might add a bit of stiffness to the blade, but truthfully, this blade does not need it - it is very thick and equally robust.

Adding stiffness by removing material, that's some new engineering there. By that logic, wouldn't you have the stiffest blade when you have removed the most material possible?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this knife.

My Dear Friend,

kel_aa said:
Do you imagine the pen-tip being strong enough to function as a glass-breaker?

Probably not - insufficient point. Were that the case, why provide both?

kel_aa said:
Adding stiffness by removing material, that's some new engineering there. By that logic, wouldn't you have the stiffest blade when you have removed the most material possible?

Have you ever seen the groove or "fuller" on a sword? I rather assumed this kind of engineering was common knowledge given the number of centuries it has been in use. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller_(weapon)

--------
Hannibal

Dr. Hannibal Lecter said:
Have you ever seen the groove or "fuller" on a sword? I rather assumed this kind of engineering was common knowledge given the number of centuries it has been in use. :D

The Doctor is right. Not sure of the engineering behind it, but for some reason, it does work.

Just to clarify, we are comparing a given stock with or without grooves, ie (with grooves it's a little lighter, and without grooves it's a little heavier, right?

If we are not, and indeed talking about two blades of the same mass, then all is well.

If we are, then:

If you are forging (as done with swords for centuries), you can increase the stiffness from a given barstock by redistributing the material in certain ways (ie increasing thickness in some areas and decreasing thickness in others (fuller). If you are stockremoving (as done here), you cannot increase the stiffness by just decreasing thickness. It doesn't make sense if you have the stiffest blade when you have removed the most material possible, ie a blade of infinitismally small mass, does it?

Enjoy your weekend and your national holiday.

kel_aa said:
If you are forging (as done with swords for centuries), you can increase the stiffness from a given barstock by redistributing the material in certain ways (ie increasing thickness in some areas and decreasing thickness in others (fuller). If you are stockremoving (as done here), you cannot increase the stiffness by just decreasing thickness. It doesn't make sense if you have the stiffest blade when you have removed the most material possible, ie a blade of infinitismally small mass, does it?

Actually you may be right, I may have misunderstoof the concept, but for some reason I remember an experiment back in physics class years ago where it was determined that a hollow tube would be significantly more weight than a solid tube of equal dimensions.

Can't remember any of the technical stuff though, so I could be wrong.

Dr. Lecter,

Thanks for the detailed review. Was your version the plain edge or serrated edge? How was the sharpness out of the box?

My Dear Chris,

Chris Mapp said:
Dr. Lecter,

Thanks for the detailed review. Was your version the plain edge or serrated edge? How was the sharpness out of the box?

My version was the serrated. It was sharp enough out of the box that a single *touch* to my friend's finger when he closed it was enough to cause a rather serious wound that bled for over ten minutes.

I was quite amazed at this blade, especially considering the very reasonable price tag attached to it. I wasn't kidding about the lockup strength either - it really does easily rival a $400+ Extrema Ratio. I have NO qualms about the lock strength whatsoever.

--------
Hannibal

Aloha Hannibal,

What a fine review...although in truth, I expected nothing less! Boker sent this RBK to the right guy, that's for sure!:thumbup:

However...

How does the knife feel during movement? Handle heavy, or blade heavy...or both?:D

Interesting point on using the pen cap feature. Advice to be heeded for sure.

God bless and keep these reviews coming!:thumbup: :thumbup:

My Dear Chad,

Daywalker said:
How does the knife feel during movement? Handle heavy, or blade heavy...or both?:D

Though the balance point is well-placed, the blade feels a bit heavy and positively alive during rotation, almost as though it is seeking a target... :eek:

--------
Hannibal

Great review! Thank you for taking the time to do it....know I just have to tell myself(repeatedly)that the wife said no more knives until Christmas.

Removing material adds surface area to a given object. Kind of like gun barrels with fluting(stronger and cool quicker), not that you need the extra cooling with a knife blade....unless your really swinging it around!

Scott B

My Dear Friend,

sdb777 said:
Great review! Thank you for taking the time to do it....know I just have to tell myself(repeatedly)that the wife said no more knives until Christmas.

Come now, my friend! Street price is only around $60 shipped. You HAVE to have one... :D

In any event, obtaining knives is a NEED, not a want. I keep trying to convince my spouse of that, anyways... :rolleyes:

Besides, Christmas is SO far away... :(

sdb777 said:
Removing material adds surface area to a given object. Kind of like gun barrels with fluting(stronger and cool quicker), not that you need the extra cooling with a knife blade....unless your really swinging it around!

You apparently have never seen me swing a blade! LOL! ;)

You are of course exactly right - fluting adds stiffness by increasing the effective surface area of the metal.

If you carry any knife for SD, this is a MUST-HAVE blade for your rotation.

--------
Hannibal

Let me thank you for a great in-depth review Hannibal!
Great lines about an interesting knife. Was a pleasure to read :cool:

Dr. Hannibal Lecter said:
My Dear Chad,

Though the balance point is well-placed, the blade feels a bit heavy and positively alive during rotation, almost as though it is seeking a target... :eek:

--------
Hannibal

Aloha Hannibal,

OOoooooOOoookay...now that is just plain freaky!:eek: :D Just please don't start calling it "Preciouuuusssssss!" :p Sorry Hannibal, just one more thing:

Can you use this one in the "Whip Grip"? By this i mean holding it at the pommel with only index, middle and thumb and then as the name implicates, "Whipping" it around for speedy slashes and snap cuts?:confused:

Que Dieu Vous Garde!:thumbup:

My Dearest Chad,

Daywalker said:
Can you use this one in the "Whip Grip"? By this i mean holding it at the pommel with only index, middle and thumb and then as the name implicates, "Whipping" it around for speedy slashes and snap cuts?:confused:

Quite! It is very secure in such a grip.

I will tell you, I would hate to be on the receiving end of that technique... :eek:

--------
Hannibal

In case someone is interested where the Boker Plus RBB is manufactured....

In the current edition of the German Messer Magazin (Knife Magazine) there's a review
about this knife with the information that it's manufactured in the same Taiwanese cutlery
that also produces knives for CRKT.

If the above info is wrong, please correct me.

I received one of these the other day and the review above is 100% truth . Very good value for money . An awesome addition to my collection very solidly built blade !

Back